Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just want to get some thoughts on installing a Sunroof on our 89 Jeep Wrangler YJ hardtop. I don't see any YouTube installations of a Sunroof on 89 Jeeps and wondered if anyone has done one. If so what company you bought it from was how difficult was the installation. Was there any draw backs on the:) installation before and after, thanks.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Worst thing ever.... take a perfectly good hard too and cut a hole in it

·
Registered
158 Posts
Personally, I don't get the whole concept of the sunroof on a CJ/YJ/TJ, and I don't see any advantages to having one. You know, the top comes off - it's a Wrangler! - but you've also got dozens of soft top combos available that will allow you to run whatever look you want (including a fold-back, "sunroof" style top).

Good YJ hardtops are getting scarce. It would be a shame to cut a hole in one.

Perhaps the lack of information online illustrates the lack of popularity of such a project? Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Sun roof, moon roof... How bout no roof? I sure like that one. I hear it's a luxury option.

I do see your point though, you have to spend a half hour taking the top off, and a half second to press a sun roof button.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
I wouldn't do it to mine. I like having the shade that a hard top provides. If I want fresh air, I can open the windows or take the doors off entirely.

I have a homemade top lift inn my garage and if I ever take the hard top off, I'll buy or rig up a half soft top. Colorado sunshine and thinning hair is a recipe for sunburn. I'm not the kind of guy to wear my cap backwards so that the wind won't blow it off.

Your options as far as I know will be:
1)- A pop up sunroof (cheap, JC Whitney has one for $248.03) with easy owner installation. I don't know of any that come with a sun shade.
2)- An electric sliding sunroof for a grand or more plus professional installation. Installation is not for amatuers. This will look hokey from the inside without a headliner (which by the way a Jeep hard top lacks).

It's your Jeep. You can do with it as you please. Be advised, a good hard top (here around Denver) runs $500.00 to $800.00. One with a pop-up sunroof will probably bring $300.00 to $$350.00.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Why do you want a sunroof? I agree with others...horrible idea. If you can let us know why you want one we may be able to solve the why another way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Previous owner had installed a sunroof in my '90 YJ. After trying to track down all the leaks from it, I finally just siliconed the entire thing shut. The pop-up sunroof didn't let in enough air to ever bother with opening it, so it was a waste for me.

I couldn't track down the manufacture/make/model to find replacement gaskets either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts