Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

super 35?

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  birtydugger 
#1 ·
hi from canada, i got an 88 yj with a dana 35 rear and 33 inch tires, was gonna lock the rear but im affraid of breaking axle shafts, has anyone had luck installing a super 35 kit which uses a locker and stronger shafts, i was also going to use an ox locker for the manual disconnect, thankyou for your reply

#10 ·
88 jeep if your going to go thru the pain and all that- do not polish a turd. I would not toss a 8.8 in it either go 9in or 44 out of a ford too. You have a leaf spring setup it is about 200 times easier tossing one in a yj then a tj.

#11 ·
I would never argue that a D35 is stronger than a 8.8. But total cost after both are installed is the same on a TJ. The leafs on a YJ would make the 8.8 a little easier and save you some. Obviously if you are lucky enough to find a 8.8 for free that also makes a difference.

#13 ·
i threw an 8.8 in mine, and i think money wise it's def better option. i got a new t-case and an 8.8 with 4.11 gears for like 500 bucks, so i couldnt pass up the deal. the fact that disc brake conversion kits alone for the 35 are ridiculously expensive, i just think it's a better overall option.

and it has to be one of the easiest axle conversions... prob equal to changing out inner shafts.. just my opinion though

#14 ·
it seems like i've opened a can of worms with you guys haha, is an explorer 8.8 axle the same width as the stock 35, and are the spring pirchs the same and the bolt pattern, thats why i was just going to stay with the stock axle, it seems like the cost is the same, and im only running 33/10.50's so i dont need a large ring gear for strength, i have a lot to think about now but guys tell me they have good luck with there super 35 so im still thinking of sticking with it

#15 ·
With a YJ having leaf springs, a Ford 8.8 would be top of my list because of the disc brakes. It would be easier to convert it for use with a YJ than a TJ.
To answer some of your questions, the 8.8 is (I believe) 1 inch shorter WMS (Wheel mounting surface) to WMS so no modifications have to be made in that regard. The bolt pattern is the same as the stock axle. (5 X 4.5) so the only things that has to be changed is the spring perches, which could be a deal breaker for you. That's something that you will have to decide.

#19 ·
hi 88jeepyj, i have a 4.0ltr yj 93.on RE XD 4.5" LIFT with 33" tyres... here in the uk we have a mixed terrain of mud, hills, clay,chalk quarrys,water and more mud!!..i have the d35 also,..i replaced the axle shafts with the chromolly 27 spline ones made by crown ($329.99)from quadratec, really tuff and 30% stronger than standard!! then i added the powertrax no-slip locker ($439.99)..ive never had a problem in 2 yrs of hard offroading..but i guess if you rockcrawl mostly then there would be more flex through the axle tube with a chance of bending the dana35 there is no "give" on dry rocks causing that hopping problem!i have several friends running on d35's and no-one has ever broke one!? our front d30 half-shafts have had more issues(RHD)on the YJ.. if your offroading is varied also..i say just replace the shafts with the crown or yukon ones! ANY axle can brake anywhere..anytime! dont worry. cheers chip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.