Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me more about Super Chips and info on products that you might have had and liked or disliked?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
to make a long story short...

dont get one, waste of money...save it and get new gears for those 35's you're running

·
Registered
379 Posts
Every bolt on in the book combined won't fix improper gearing. Besides, Tj computers aren't very tuner friendly anyway.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
Can anyone tell me more about Super Chips and info on products that you might have had and liked or disliked?

Thanks
Unless your Jeep is a quarter-mile drag racer on the weekends and you need that .1 second quicker time, a chip is a waste of time. By EPA regulation, such chips are not allowed to do anything except when the engine is at wide-open throttle and approaching redline RPMs. Not how many of us drive our engines very darned often.

The bottom line is you won't feel any difference with it except near redline and wide open throttle... it's a complete waste of $$$. Not to mention it will require you run the more expensive 89 or 91 octane gasoline afterwards to prevent pinging.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My 2002 Sahara came with a JET chip installed from the previous owner. After research I was thrilled to learn that it was only a Stage 1 chip which did not require the expensive gas, the Stage 2 does. I removed the chip and drove it for a week and noticed ZERO difference. I did not run it through a full tank of gas to see what the mileage difference is if any, but since it didn't cost me anything I leave it in for fun.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did do my gears already, but I was just wondering the advantages of these "Super-Chips"... Thank you to all, I won't waste my money...:thumb:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I made the mistake of getting one for my Jeep. I tested it out for a week and saw absolutely zero difference no matter the setting or type of gas. My vote would be not worth buying for a TJ.

On a side note, Superchips support was absolutely fantastic and very helpful. The tuner itself was very easy to use.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I find it works great on the jk but more for the functions then the power but did feel a difference in my 09 6 speed it was easy to tell going up the hill to work I didn't have to drop a gear anymore . But I think they do more on newer jeeps :)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Chips/tuners generally work in these ways on a stock car:

1 advance or retard timing to either increase or decrease octane required. On a dyno, I have seen cars make less hp with them.

2 commonly used to lean up fuel trims to make more power. The trims from the factory error on being rich for safety. Every car is a little different.

3 correct tuning issues and improve drivability.

4 adjust shift points and firmness on an automatic.

5 if car has a turbo, can be used for making adjustments.

On a modified car, they can be required depending on the changes. Replacing a cam for example. Running nitrous? You will likely need a chip.

Paying 200 bucks for a mail order tune is a bit like swinging in the dark. Paying 500 for a chip and a custom dyno tune will net better results. As a general rule, the less sophisticated the car, and the more stock it is, the less you will benefit. But every platform can be different. What works on a Vette won't necessarily work on a Jeep.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mark73 said:
I find it works great on the jk but more for the functions then the power but did feel a difference in my 09 6 speed it was easy to tell going up the hill to work I didn't have to drop a gear anymore . But I think they do more on newer jeeps :)
obd reader speedo fix throttle response lots more

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Reading codes and speedo adjustment are valid points. Speedo can often be correct other ways and unless you are changing tire size a lot, not sure how much you will need a tuner. Reading codes can also be done at nearly any auto parts store too. Or just buy a universal code reader that will work on any car.

You could though on a five speed fake the car into thinking you have a different sized wheel than you do to rake up the miles slower. Your speedo will be off, but who cares. Not something I would do, but it makes you wonder.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Reading codes and speedo adjustment are valid points.
well, actually they're not that valid of points.

as you mentioned, a code can be had for free at any local Autozone or O'reily...or go to HF and buy one for under $50.

speed adjustment in the factory ECU sucks, the options are quite limited and many common combos are not covered.

with the NP231 t-case, you simply buy a new speedo gear for $40 and it takes 5 minutes to swap out.
with the NV241OR t-case, you can buy a wide variety of electronic calibrators. Speedohealer is a good one and is totally plug-n-play, even a 15 yr old can do it!

SpeedoHealer Jeep Plug-n-Play Kit: 5 minute Installation - YouTube

·
Registered
31 Posts
They r valid points u ever try resetting you're esp tc 50 miles in the woods!! you're parts store can't help u here and I Change my tires every winter speedo ! If u had a lifted jk u might get oh yah and used it !!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
mark73 said:
they r valid points u ever try resetting you're esp tc 50 miles in the woods!! You're parts store can't help u here and i change my tires every winter speedo ! If u had a lifted jk u might get oh yah and used it !!!!
esp tc

·
Registered
31 Posts
UnlimitedLJ04 said:
well, actually they're not that valid of points.

as you mentioned, a code can be had for free at any local Autozone or O'reily...or go to HF and buy one for under $50.

speed adjustment in the factory ECU sucks, the options are quite limited and many common combos are not covered.

with the NP231 t-case, you simply buy a new speedo gear for $40 and it takes 5 minutes to swap out.
with the NV241OR t-case, you can buy a wide variety of electronic calibrators. Speedohealer is a good one and is totally plug-n-play, even a 15 yr old can do it!

SpeedoHealer Jeep Plug-n-Play Kit: 5 minute Installation - YouTube
I've cleared codes 25 times now and changed tires size 5 times now so it more then payed for it self !!! What would that cost u ??? Never mind u probly drive a four door the the MALL !!

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I've cleared codes 25 times now and changed tires size 5 times now so it more then payed for it self !!! What would that cost u ??? Never mind u probly drive a four door the the MALL !!
If you're going to try harassing me, you'll need to do it sounding somewhat educated, using coherent sentences & punctuation and logical thinking because I can't understand whatever gibberish that is. If you've had to clear 25 codes on your jeep, you need to keep up with maintenance and fix your POS.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yah whatever bud u go wheeling like me and you're ESP TC comes on 50 miles in the woods I'll turn mine off ! If I want to buy the tool to do it myself then what is it to u?? Why not just put something useful
Instead of telling people they r wrong ?
Oh yah idle up for my winch ! Well in not going to waste anymore of my time on this I don't care what u think !!!! Boy girl undisclosed whatever u r ? I'm going to guess a bit of both !!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.