Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought I had finally made my mind up... I have a 2012 4 door, and had decided that 33" tires looked too small on the 4 door, and that I would take the gas mileage / power loss of going to the 35's since it looked "right".

There are no 4 wheel drive stores in the town I live in... the nearest one is a "4 wheel parts" store an hour and a half away. I called and spoke to the manager, who told me 4 wheel parts had bought Rubicon express, and that the 2012 had some changes on it that would only allow a couple of lift kits to work. I'm looking for a combination of decent price / good quality, not low price. So he steers me to a 3.5" kit (I was thinking 2.5, but they don't have one), which is around $1600, plus $650 to install. The manager is great, informative and sends me an email quote very quickly. But I look at the bottom line, and with wheels and tires at $2,000 I'm looking at $4,500... oh but I need a matching spare, so it's $5,000, oh but your spare won't fit, so you need to upgrade the spare carrier, in addition to reduced gas mileage and power. DAMMIT!!

I can't justify dumping $5k into a one month old vehichle, but it looks Stupid with the stock wheels and tires.

So now I'm back to wondering if I should just put 33" tires and new wheels on it... Soooo frustrating.

Thanks for letting me vent, Jeep People.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
There are other vendors out there who will sell you a lift and ship it to your door. If you have any JK buddies around, I am sure they will offer up help. Heck, I have done a half dozen on my driveway just to further the JK nation. If you are close, PM me and I'll help you install it.

The gotcha on the '12 is the unique y-pipe Tera Flex has a kit to extend it a bit. I personally have bought from Dave at Northridge4x4. He knows his stuff and get stuff out to you.

Heck, shop around, and if you have to go to 4WP, ask them to quote you an install if you buy the kit from someone else.

Bob K.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
33s with ~1" of lift.

Cost of tires/wheels (after rebates, discounts, and selling factory tires/wheels), about $1200.

Cost of low cost 3/4" spacer lift, $40. Self installed. Got a $400 2.5" TeraFlex kit waiting for me though . . .

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
You need to decide wether you just want looks, or a lift that actually functions AND looks "right".
By the way, you forgot to add another $1500 or so for the 5.13 gear change, and another $1000 for front and rear driveshafts.
Mine had 149 miles on it, and when I picked it up, I handed the shop $11,500.
I have no regrets whatsoever

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was in. The same situation.. Went with 35's with no regrets.. I knew if I went with 33's I wouldn't be happy and would have spent more upgrading sooner than later..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way, you forgot to add another $1500 or so for the 5.13 gear change, and another $1000 for front and rear driveshafts.
Not. Helping.

Stupid fiscal responsibility!! hahahahahaha

·
Banned
764 Posts
You need to decide wether you just want looks, or a lift that actually functions AND looks "right".
For that kind of money you are in raptor land. 413HP 440FPT and new for 2012, lockers front and rear! And 35 inch rubber, with 4.10 gears and the power to turn Em. Hey but it's not a jeep!

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
KSCRUDE said:
For that kind of money you are in raptor land. 413HP 440FPT and new for 2012, lockers front and rear! And 35 inch rubber, with 4.10 gears and the power to turn Em. Hey but it's not a jeep!
The raptors are nice, my son in law is a finance director for ford, and he's always bringing me literature on them. I get back at him by buying my grandson Chevrolet Bowtie hats!

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I hear you. I had all my mods planned before purchasing my Rubi. Stock just wasn't an option for me. I've drop $8K on mods, and I'm happy with the results. I'm into my rig for @ $42K which seems OK for what I've got.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
So I thought I had finally made my mind up... I have a 2012 4 door, and had decided that 33" tires looked too small on the 4 door, and that I would take the gas mileage / power loss of going to the 35's since it looked "right".

There are no 4 wheel drive stores in the town I live in... the nearest one is a "4 wheel parts" store an hour and a half away. I called and spoke to the manager, who told me 4 wheel parts had bought Rubicon express, and that the 2012 had some changes on it that would only allow a couple of lift kits to work. I'm looking for a combination of decent price / good quality, not low price. So he steers me to a 3.5" kit (I was thinking 2.5, but they don't have one), which is around $1600, plus $650 to install. The manager is great, informative and sends me an email quote very quickly. But I look at the bottom line, and with wheels and tires at $2,000 I'm looking at $4,500... oh but I need a matching spare, so it's $5,000, oh but your spare won't fit, so you need to upgrade the spare carrier, in addition to reduced gas mileage and power. DAMMIT!!

I can't justify dumping $5k into a one month old vehichle, but it looks Stupid with the stock wheels and tires.

So now I'm back to wondering if I should just put 33" tires and new wheels on it... Soooo frustrating.

Thanks for letting me vent, Jeep People.
Check out the thread "2012 with 2.5 BB/285 duratracs" the guys jeep looks great, it's a 2 door not a 4 but it looks beefy even on 33" tires. Why don't you try a 295/75 or 305/70 or 75 those will put you at about 34 +/-. You'll not have as much power loss or strain on differential components that heavy 35s would.
Stay 3" or below so you won't need to change driveshafts. I was told by my my service rep at dodge that changing driveshafts will void your drivetrain warranty. (I'm going to assume that's true??)
If you're not rock crawling why bother with the additional expense of jacking it up 4 inches and having to change the other components like trac bars, links etc. Do a 2.5 or 3 inch spacer or spring lift (Teraflex has nice lift kits at reasonable prices). If you want 4" add a 1" or 1.25" body lift. You could do tires and lift for 3 grand or less and put the extra 2 or 3 grand you saved to something useful like lockers. Call a buddy and do the lift install yourself, don't pay somebody. It's actually pretty easy and kind of fun. Then sit back with some beers and marvel at what you just created.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,425 Posts
Lol sorry had to. The 4WP guy is trying to make a buck on you! He is full of it. I usually don't call out another company but that is BS.

There is a lot of lifts (quality) lifts that work on the 2012 JK! Yes you have to do something with the exhaust but that is about it. You can do a TON on a JK with 5K! I would look at your wheels and tires. You can do 35's on new wheels for under 2K. Heck we can do that mounted, balanced, and shipped! Then, you can run a 2.5" BB for cheap...

Let us know if we can help. Feel free to PM, email, or call at anytime!

-Jason

·
Registered
696 Posts
JPi1 said:
By the way, you forgot to add another $1500 or so for the 5.13 gear change
Not needed on the 2012s. Many are running 35s with 3.73s just fine and I've read of one even running 35s with 3.21s and no issues.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
ranjr said:
Not needed on the 2012s. Many are running 35s with 3.73s just fine and I've read of one even running 35s with 3.21s and no issues.
2300 rpm at 65mph?? Not for me!

·
Registered
696 Posts
JPi1 said:
2300 rpm at 65mph?? Not for me!
Too low or too high? I don't understand what your saying. My '12 Rubicon Auto with 4.10 turns 2400 or so at 65mph. At 70 (where I drive) it turns 2600rpm.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Too low or too high? I don't understand what your saying. My '12 Rubicon Auto with 4.10 turns 2400 or so at 65mph. At 70 (where I drive) it turns 2600rpm.
that's the setup I'm sticking with,
what MPG's are you getting?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
2600 is a very good rpm for mpg and power, as this chart shows. These six cyl engines don't have the torque to be efficient at low rpms

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
:nonono::nonono::nonono: I'm going out to the driveway and kiss the fender of my YJ now!:dance::dance:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts