Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I picked up my new 2016 2 door Rubicon 2 weeks ago and I noticed a small dent or dimple on my hood (a few days after getting it) up by the window(near Rubicon sticker) that looked to me like a manufacturing issue? You can only see it standing at the front of the hood.

I called the dealer and my salesman approved a fix if needed.

Has anyone here noticed anything like this on their Wrangler hood? The dimple runs exactly parallel to the windshield.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have one but in a different location. I only notice it from a certain angle and after a wash/wax. It's located on the right side about halfway up just above where a decal would be on the flat part of the hood.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
My guess it was caused by someone cleaning the windshield. I notice one on mine just this year. It is right where I put my hand when I clean the window.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess it was caused by someone cleaning the windshield. I notice one on mine just this year. It is right where I put my hand when I clean the window.
The guy that was cleaning my Jeep was a tall and huge guy.

I sure hope it wasn't him. There were 2 other Wranglers getting delivered while I got mine.

That hood seems pretty solid to dent that easy? I will be careful not to lean on the hood when I clean the windshield.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heat gun and then canned air upside down works pretty darn good it the dent is not sharp but more like a hail dent .....

just like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9OGa9vB42Q&ebc=ANyPxKoLswS70Th3Opfn7H2z8qPTiDV-fo4sgK52gVwCF2Ftt16m4ddM4AD3h2lzgKkcgSIlxgBT7XlpP_4Jec2sODDD_cv_8A
Thanks.

The dent is a super thin line. So it might be more difficult than a hail dent.

My Subaru has some hail dents so I might experiment on it. Its 11 years old.

This dent is really hard to see so a professional would be the way to go because I might make it worse.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have one but in a different location. I only notice it from a certain angle and after a wash/wax. It's located on the right side about halfway up just above where a decal would be on the flat part of the hood.
I just want to make sure mine isn't a manufacturing issue where it might get worse somehow. Its probably not but the service guy on the phone didn't sound surprised about the hood issue.

Do you know what caused yours?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I just want to make sure mine isn't a manufacturing issue where it might get worse somehow. Its probably not but the service guy on the phone didn't sound surprised about the hood issue.

Do you know what caused yours?
I just went outside to try and take a pic of my small dent but couldn't even find it since pollen is all over the hood. It's really very small 3/4" and shallow. More of a dimple as you describe than a dent.

I have no idea where it came from. I'm the only person who washes my Jeep, so I always thought it happened during transport or delivery someplace. I only noticed it a couple of weeks ago so I'm sure it's too late to have the dealer look at it and expect responsibility for fixing it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just went outside to try and take a pic of my small dent but couldn't even find it since pollen is all over the hood. It's really very small 3/4" and shallow. More of a dimple as you describe than a dent.

I have no idea where it came from. I'm the only person who washes my Jeep, so I always thought it happened during transport or delivery someplace. I only noticed it a couple of weeks ago so I'm sure it's too late to have the dealer look at it and expect responsibility for fixing it.
It might not hurt to call your dealer and ask about it.

I haven't even washed mine yet and its been parked in my garage since the dual top option is still in there.

So I get to be that guy that comes back to the dealer 2 weeks later with the small dimple in his hood. Fun.

This will be a defining moment for the dealer service department. So far they seem cool about it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I went to the dealer today and they are going to take a pic on monday and send it to Chrysler and see what they think.

The service advisor and the salesman and the mechanic could not see it until I pointed to the exact spot. Its very hard to see in the sunlight.

This sounds crazy. But I swear the dimple line is getting worse?
I noticed it when I brought the Jeep home from dealer and just blew it off thinking its just part of the hood stamp?

Oh well. First world problems. :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They will probably call a PDR shop to come and fix it. Is there access to the back side of the dent?
No you can't get to it under the hood.

The mechanic suggested a PDR shop might damage the factory paint but I would think they could fix it without harming the paint.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I just checked the hood on my 2014 Rubicon X. I have the following manufacturing imperfections:
1) Center of the hood at the rear edge.
2) Rear edge of hood behind each RUBICON decal
3) One on each side just above the RUBICON decal
4) Leading edge of hood - mostly in the center

Honestly, I'm a picky guy and I haven't noticed them in 2 years - I only found them because I went looking for them after reading your post. They are barely noticeable and I was only able to find them under harsh florescent lights.

My biggest issue was that my RUBICON sticker was put on wrong on one side - the RU curved up about 3/8". Finally fixed that myself, as I wouldn't trust the dealer to do it right. Bought a new Mopar sticker for cheap on ebay and just replaced the RU.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just checked the hood on my 2014 Rubicon X. I have the following manufacturing imperfections:
1) Center of the hood at the rear edge.
2) Rear edge of hood behind each RUBICON decal
3) One on each side just above the RUBICON decal
4) Leading edge of hood - mostly in the center

Honestly, I'm a picky guy and I haven't noticed them in 2 years - I only found them because I went looking for them after reading your post. They are barely noticeable and I was only able to find them under harsh florescent lights.

My biggest issue was that my RUBICON sticker was put on wrong on one side - the RU curved up about 3/8". Finally fixed that myself, as I wouldn't trust the dealer to do it right. Bought a new Mopar sticker for cheap on ebay and just replaced the RU.
My Jeep looks great except for this 1 issue that probably should be looked at by Chrysler.

On the other side of the hood there is also a super small dimple(about an inch or 2) but its right on the edge and clearly part of the hood stamp.

Its possible that the hood was damaged during transport or delivery prep but the dimple line actually is also on the curve of the hood so it seems strange.

I just want to establish a report with Chrysler just in case it is a defective hood.

I know I sound really picky but this dimple line isn't supposed to be there.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
My Jeep looks great except for this 1 issue that probably should be looked at by Chrysler.
If that's the only issue, it looks like it was manufactured that way, and it is barely noticeable, then consider yourself lucky. Do you really want the dealership body shop to try to fix it? You might be better off not doing anything about it.

Heck, I've had to wet sand out several dust spots in my paint, and I have areas in my jambs that don't have paint coverage. I wouldn't even consider having the dealership try to 'fix' it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I went over mine today very closely and found about three small raised areas the size of a pinhead in the paint. I also noticed some areas of uneven metallic in the paint on the hood. I have a couple of areas that have noticeably more metallic when the sun hits it just right. None of these are a big deal but just shows that there are flaws.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If that's the only issue, it looks like it was manufactured that way, and it is barely noticeable, then consider yourself lucky. Do you really want the dealership body shop to try to fix it? You might be better off not doing anything about it.

Heck, I've had to wet sand out several dust spots in my paint, and I have areas in my jambs that don't have paint coverage. I wouldn't even consider having the dealership try to 'fix' it.
You are probably right. The paint looks perfect so the dimple might be better just left alone.

After that inevitable first door ding I will soon forget about it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts