Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking about installing a supercharger on my 17 jeep jku but not crazy about the loud whining noise. Do they all make that noise ?? And what supercharger is good for a Jeep??

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yes they all whine. I had a Sprintex SC on my 07 and my friend had a RIPP for his. Both riddled with tuning problems and not worth the money, effort and frustration. I strongly suggest you do not put a SC on your Jeep. I have yet to hear of anyone that is 100% satisfied with any SC on a Wrangler.

·
Super Moderator
4,588 Posts
Different designs of supercharger have different levels of whine, but they all whine to some extent or another.
And if you have an automatic trans it seems a lot harder to get a supercharger to work right. Most people with good success getting a supercharger to work right have a manual trans or an older auto that is not so computerized.
I would do some searches on here. Plenty of stories, both good and bad.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
If you want a faster 0-60 wrangler, trade for a new JL Rubicon with the 8 speed trans.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you want a faster 0-60 wrangler, trade for a new JL Rubicon with the 8 speed trans.
^^^^ - This. If you add stronger gearing to your JL, you can make it nearly as quick as you want it to be. You put a SC on a 3.6l and that is asking to go 60-0 permanently. The 3.6l is not designed for a SC and there is not extra strength built in like you see in some of the V8's.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I can see no reason in the world to super charge a 3.6 engine in a jeep The stock engine will take you anywhere you want to go at a speed that's prudent for the terrain you are on.
if you want a race car buy a hellcat. If you want an all aluminum grenade supercharge a 3.6 and hope you are in walking distance of help when not if it goes Kaboom.

·
Registered
891 Posts
i too am baffled by thread after thread of this. I actually saw 3 different jks today in town, all with glass pack mufflers, makes me embarrassed honestly....

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I don’t get the loud exhaust in vehicles with engines that don’t have any potential to sound good and never will. I gotta think it’s mainly due to ignorance about engines or seeking attention.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
I had a 302 Bronco with Holly headers and 26 inch glass packs out each side. Now i don't want to even hear my JK. V6's sounded like crap in the 70's and they still do.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Ehh... I like mine. Self-installation project was fun, the tuner that came with it could've been of higher quality, otherwise the tune is fine. It has been running great for a couple thousand miles so far, no anomalies, no unexpected codes, just a lot of fun. I really like the added power, very little added noise from the SC.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yes they all whine. I had a Sprintex SC on my 07 and my friend had a RIPP for his. Both riddled with tuning problems and not worth the money, effort and frustration. I strongly suggest you do not put a SC on your Jeep. I have yet to hear of anyone that is 100% satisfied with any SC on a Wrangler.
I have put 40,000 miles on my 2010 JK since I installed my supercharger. I have had zero problems and am 100% satisfied.

I would recommend you regear first and if you still want more power go with RIPP.

·
Super Moderator
4,588 Posts
To be clear, the older 3.8 tends to have less issues for a number of reasons. For one, the older ECU is not encrypted. Another reason is the older automatic trans is not nearly so computerized (again, encrypted).
Also, the older 3.8 motor is fairly weak and as such an extra 50 hp or so from a supercharger will be more noticeable.
I like forced induction. And if I had the funds I would do it to our 2016 JKU (manual trans). But I think re-gearing and other mods are way ahead on the list. So until I have a fair bit more expendable income it ain't going to happen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts