Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the superchips flashpaq today. Installed the 87 octane tune first....took forever. I guess there are some seat of the pants hp especially at the higher rpm but I really got it to help with the slushy:hunting shift points. Jury still out there.

So my question is (since I can barely break the tires loose...14 Saraha jku stock w 3.73s) I'm wondering if the higher octane tunes would be better or also wondering about the crawl tune. Is that crawl tune just for wheeling or can it be used for everyday driving but giving more low end 'guts'. ?

Any superchips experience and comments are welcomed...even moderately negative ones...I was a little doubtful of the results I might get.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
The crawl tune alters your throttle pedal response and I think you will find it totally unacceptable for street use... I couldn't get used to it even off road where all I found it doing was drastically restricting how quickly the throttle responded.

I have a TrailDash but tunes should be about the same... I spend a lot of time off road and tried the 87 tune, but as you noted, it takes several minutes to change from one program to another and though for me the 87 setup was more fun "seat of the pants" wise on the streets, it wasn't what I wanted off road so I'm still happy with the "stock" tune.

I like the sway bar and locker control even in 2H up to 30MPH, and my wife likes the electronic inclinometer for some reason. I also don't run with tire pressure sensors so it's nice to turn off the TPMS lamp too. All those maintenance reminders may be for you but not for me. I've also had a couple occurrences where the unit just seemed to quit working. To resolve, I simply shut off the ignition and restarted which rebooted the TrailDash.

All in all, it does what I want it to with my manual transmission '13. I'd think it's ability to adjust shift points might be useful for some folks.

·
Let the Jeepn Times Roll
2,020 Posts
I like the sway bar and locker control even in 2H up to 30MPH

How is this possible. I have the same unit and a 2013 rubicon. Lockers can't be engaged through the traildash unless it's in 4hi. Even states that in their user manual. Is there an update for the traildash now to use lockers in 2wd now.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don't know about the original TD, but the TD 2 can for sure lock the rear in 2wd. It's great!

For the OP...I can't stand the crawl tune, but then again, I don't mess with rocks - only mud. It really limits the throttle and doesn't seem like it adds any torque. I run mine on 93 octane tune and can really feel the difference over the other two power settings and get better mileage compared to stock. I can't do the added throttle response though....too jerky. For throttle response improvement, I run a Sprint Booster. Btw, I'm in a 6-speed. I've read quite a few people with autos love the SC throttle response programs.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I have an auto and run the 93 tune. Really like the throttle response with the "Superchips" calibration.

Haven't used the crawl tune so can't speak to it

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
None of the Superchips tunes make any changes to the transmission or shift points on the 3.6L equipped Jeeps. The only TUNING changes these devices make is to fuel trim and spark timing. Period, end of story, nothing further. This is confirmed by multiple techs at Superchips. There is no ifs, ands, or buts about it regardless of what people think or heard in rumors.

The throttle response user setting adjusts the electronic throttle body's response to the gas pedal. It's an electronic curve that translates your pedal movement to throttle plate movement. The performance throttle response setting makes it a faster response. This gives you a quicker jump off the line when you push the pedal down. This is no way adds horsepower. And it can be detrimental offroad or rock crawling.

The CRAWL tune is the same as the 87 tune but uses a reduced throttle response, the opposite of the above. Your pedal will be mushy, which is useful for rock crawling.

Other things like transfer case settings and such can be useful. But again, nothing to do with performance.

·
Let the Jeepn Times Roll
2,020 Posts
None of the Superchips tunes make any changes to the transmission or shift points on the 3.6L equipped Jeeps. The only TUNING changes these devices make is to fuel trim and spark timing. Period, end of story, nothing further. This is confirmed by multiple techs at Superchips. There is no ifs, ands, or buts about it regardless of what people think or heard in rumors.

The throttle response user setting adjusts the electronic throttle body's response to the gas pedal. It's an electronic curve that translates your pedal movement to throttle plate movement. The performance throttle response setting makes it a faster response. This gives you a quicker jump off the line when you push the pedal down. This is no way adds horsepower. And it can be detrimental offroad or rock crawling.

The CRAWL tune is the same as the 87 tune but uses a reduced throttle response, the opposite of the above. Your pedal will be mushy, which is useful for rock crawling.

Other things like transfer case settings and such can be useful. But again, nothing to do with performance.
I didn't buy it for the tunes, but for all the informational gauges and locker control.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Many times the 'quicker' throttle response has caught the wife off guard at a red light and a simple push on the pedal makes it jump out...

Not really liking it and if that's all they can do to make the lil sewing machine 'faster' then the tuning is not worth it... IMHO of course !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts