Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys if anyone has any info on this product it would be great. I have an 01 Wrangler TJ and I was just wondering if 1. Would this work on my jeep and . What can I get out of it?

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
It increases your mileage and performance in direct proportion to the amount of money it sucks out of your wallet...by weight...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn I was hoping it would help. Well is there anything I can do that will increase powered and mpg? This is my first jeep I just purchased 2 weeks ago and I love it. But I could use a little more power.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
For more power buy a corvette. For better mpg buy a Prius.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you are running over sized tires either downgrade to smaller tires or do a proper re-gear.
But honestly, it's always going to feel underpowered because it is.
I knew what I was getting in to when I traded my 5.6 v8 in for my 4.0.
Still don't regret it though

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
If that profile picture is the Jeep you have, it looks like it's got either 33 or 35 inch tires on it. If it hasn't been regeared for the oversized tires as mentioned above, that is the only way you will get the original power (and gas mileage although even stock isn't great) back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha corvette is nice still would choose my jeep over it. And def not a prius. But yeah I'm sitting on 33" baja right now actually about to go to 35 bfg a/t but I'm happy with my jeep just didn't know much a out it like what I could do to it. But thanks guys. I will never get rid of this TJ

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
How do you re-gear it? Is it something I can do myself? Do I have to buy different gears?
Not a good idea if you have never done it. It is very critical to get a lot of measurements spot on, and takes some specialty tools that the average home mechanic does not normally have. A regear of both axles normally runs between about $1200-$1600 parts and labor for both axles.

Before deciding to go to 35" tires, do some research of what is involved. To do it successfully you have to make sure the rear axle you have is at least a D44, and there are steering and brake upgrades that need to be done as well as lower gears than it would take for 33's.....There's more to it than just slapping on 35's.

If you let us know what engine and transmission you have we can tell you what gears you need for the 33's.

·
Registered
335 Posts
How do you re-gear it? Is it something I can do myself? Do I have to buy different gears?
Yes you have to buy new gears.
If you are on stock gearing with 33's it is going to be severely underpowered and not too healthy on the engine.
Depending how much mechanical experience you have with vehicles, you can do it yourselves.
Imo it is one of the more advanced mods you can do to your jeep And I won't even attempt to do the regear alone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know the engine is the 4.0 but Transmission I couldn't tell you. I might just stick with the the 33 then until I can afford all of that. My only prob with the jeep as far as power is 5th gear it loses speed unless I'm already doing 70 mph

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1st through 3rd pull pretty hard and 4th does ok just 5th has nothing. A buddy of mine said it could be the clutch. he isn't a master mechanic but he knows quite a bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I came on here cause it's a jeep forum and figured you guys would know a lot more than my friend cause he is more into imports. I really do appreciate your thought and knowledge.

·
Registered
158 Posts
im sure your friend knows his stuff about many things; but this doesnt seem to be one of his areas of expertise.. if your jeep has stock gearing and has 33" tires, that is the culprit of the anemic performance in 4th and 5th gear.

it's a tough pill to swallow for sure... but i'm on the hook for the 12-1600 to regear mine too... that and the money for the 35" tires themselves... and lets not get started on the upgraded steering and brakes haha

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
If you have the 4.0L and 5 speed, you should have your axles regeared to 4.56 for your 33" tires. Your stock gearing is going to either be 3.07, or 3.73. There should be a tag on the driver's side back of your rear differential that tells you what gearing your stock differential has. The one in this picture is 3.73. My guess is that you most likely have 3.07 based on what you said about 70mph and 5th gear. Your issue with 5th gear is typical of not being geared low enough, and has nothing to do with your clutch.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
3:07 gears even with 31x10.50 15 is pretty much useless in 5th gear. Unless your trying to cruise at 80-85mph. Then Itl work.. easy way to tell if you have 307. Very ballsy
1st 2nd and 3rd. No power in 4th and minus power in 5th.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts