Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I did some searching and found a little info, but nothing too difinitive. I read some other stuff from the 'net and it seems really cool- enough so that it's moving up on the list.

I work for a telematics company and have some very pointed questions on how they go about things and where data is captured, but that is more geeky than functionality. Specifically, I want to know if they are getting actual PIDs from the ECM, or if these are general OBD-II requests. Also, if the unit has the ability to have 2 devices plugged in simultaneously to the OBD port, or if this will cause collisions. Lastly, I'd like to see a specific list of parameters captured. I know they get voltage and coolant temp, but I want oil pressure and temp. I've got a manual so I don't care about shift points and the fuel maps don't really interest me either, but the control over the lockers would be nice as well as the ability to add a camera.

I'd like to put a front camera on this and the rear camera on the OEM head unit (430n).

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I've had a TD for nearly a year now. It isn't much for improving performance in my opinion, but I didn't buy it for that either. The locker and sway bar operation up to 30 MPH were my reasons for procuring one.

Performance gains from my experience I feel are only "seat of the pants". MY JK's throttle response was effected greatly by the TD. I tried crawl and the 87 octane tunes, but my results showed no MPG gain, but for town driving, the 87 tune felt a little more "peppy". However, I didn't like the "peppyness" off road where over 1/2 my miles are driven so back to the "stock" tune for me. It takes 5 minutes or so to change from one tune to another. I noticed no MPG improvement using the 87 tune.

According to the TD manual, you can stack plugs on the OBDII port but I don't use mine that way so I can't help much.

There is a pretty good description of the CAN bus and it's operation going on here... Hacking the interior CAN bus - JK

I've got a '13 Rubicon manual transmission.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've had a TrailDash for a while now too. I wrote a review of it on Amazon.com not too long after I got it but I'd say I feel about the same about it now.

If you have a manual, the TrailDash apparently has problems detecting that you're in reverse to auto-switch to an attached reverse camera. (I have an automatic so that wasn't an issue for me.)

I'm pretty certain it's just getting its data from standard OBD-II requests.

I know one of the parameters I set mine up to display for me is the transmission oil temperature, but that's apparently only an estimated value. (If you put the Jeep in Park, it immediately shows a temperature of 0.)

I also have mine displaying the fuel level as a percentage, and I've noticed that seems to be off a bit. If I fill the tank, even trying to top it off to ensure it's as full as it can ever get? The TrailDash will report it as 95% full.

I run with their "87 octane performance tune" - but I'm not really sure if I can tell any difference between it and the stock tune. (In my case, I switched to it when my Jeep only had 1,000 miles or so on the odometer ... and then I found out these engines are known to "loosen up" or electronically release some sort of artificial governor on the engine at around the 1,500 mile mark. So that really threw off any ability I might have had to give a "seat of the pants" estimate of what it did or didn't do for me.)

Honestly, I'm just using their tune right now because I paid for the TD and their "custom tunes", so I want to at least use what I purchased. (If it's like MANY vehicles on the road today, I'm sure there's at least some excess richness in the air/fuel maps it dials back, meaning a potential small savings in gas usage.)

All in all, I wish the price of the TD was a little lower. If you could buy one for $250-325 or so, it would be a "must have" purchase for your Jeep. At more like $500, it's more questionable. I've been a fan of custom tunes for other cars I've owned where they made very noticeable differences, so I jumped at the chance to do the same on the Wrangler. But eh.... this one's unremarkable in that area. It's nice having it mounted with their "dashpod" to my center console and using it as my backup camera plus extra gauges. But it's more of a fun tech toy than a necessity.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Was set to purchase a Traildash. Can anybody elaborate on experience with the higher octane mapping?

I've read past posts/complaints with other tuners (Diablo) that higher octane tuning would equate to an unnecessary sensitive throttle response... Was hoping the TD wouldn't be similar to that.

If the tuning to the TD isn't anything... Was thinking of going to the SuperChips ProCal.

Thoughts? (Was looking into this more for oerformance vs has savings).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sub'd. I'm interested in picking up the procal or traildash as well. Wouldn't mind the ability to add switches and extra gauges, but not sure its worth the money yet. E-lockers might make it worth it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So I have a brand new Trail Dash sitting in my garage if anyone is interested. I did a ton of research before I decided to get it and it seemed like the best programmer out there. One thing I liked about it is the ability to make changes on the fly. If you change fuel type you and punch it in sitting at the gas station instead of having to upload a new program at home. Plus if your winching you can increase idle right there. Cool features other programmers don't have.

All of that being said I bought my Jeep a couple of weeks before I deployed overseas and bought a bunch of stuff while I was gone. When I got home I decided that it wasn't for me for two reasons. I am 5'6'' and I think it will be a little tough for me to see over since I'm so short. Second, I'm really building a Jeep just for wheeling. That being said I plan on having the top off most of the summer and worry about too much rain possible getting into it and shorting it out. I'm planning on tearing out my carpet as soon as it gets trashed from rain. With all of that being said I am thinking about getting the Flashpaq.

Rockin4x4 refused to accept my return since it was over 30 days (since I was deployed when I bought it). They are not a company I would recommend doing business with btw.

My original post mentioned Rockhard4x4 being the shitbags. I apologize they are actually an awesome company who I have used in the past.

Rockhard4x4=Awesome
Rockin4x4= Shitbags

Anyways I have the Superchip Traildash and the Superchip Dashpod both new, unopened in the box if anyone is interested. PM me if your interested. I know I'll loose money on it I just want to sell it and get it off my mind.

Sorry I didn't mean to jack the thread. I would agree it's probably the best programmer out there but for those two reasons I don't think it's a fit for me.

Let me know if your interested. Better someone enjoy it than it sit in my garage any longer.

·
Registered
190 Posts
PM sent

·
Registered
655 Posts
In your research, were you able to get direct information in the 91 and 93 octane tunes performance?

Was curious if any forum members had real world experience with either (or both) the TrailDash, BullyDog, and Diablo to compare to.

·
Registered
299 Posts
twyrick said it best...I also have the TD I feel the exact same way as he does. I have a 2014 JKUR with the Auto and the shifts are firmer...I like the various features on it. I have done my 0-60 time several times the best I can get is 6.4 sec to 60..

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
For any of you guys with the TrailDash, is it possible to get the oil pressure from the PCM like the EVIC does, or does it require a sensor?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
655 Posts
twyrick said it best...I also have the TD I feel the exact same way as he does. I have a 2014 JKUR with the Auto and the shifts are firmer...I like the various features on it. I have done my 0-60 time several times the best I can get is 6.4 sec to 60..
2914Rubi, were these time improvements based on on the TD tuning with higher octane?

Can you provide any other performance (or lack of) details with the other tuning options (specifically 91 & 93 octane tuning)?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts