Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am about a week away from pulling the trigger on new wheels and tires lift kit and other goodies for my first jeep. I am beyond excited to get started.

My main question deals with the 300 dollar price point difference between spring coil between RK, super lift (some others) and terraflex.

For the mild (no more than once a week) off-roader and a DD is the extra 300 worth it. Before you say go read the forums on this. My question isn't which one is better. It's differnce would I see in my day to day usage and then when I offroad?

Does one a handle better on the road than the other? Does one have more off road capabilities?

The money isn't a huge issue if the answers all come up terraflex. I'll likely get the terraflex I am just not sure what I gain and lose with it being a 90% DD.

thank you in advance for any help

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
IDK how much help this will be....but all I got. I know a guy that Swears by RK....for his TJ which is on 35"s. He helped another club member buy and install RK parts for that guys JK. They were both really Happy with their choice. Biggest "advantage" (so I am told) is you can "rebuild" RK parts.

I know another Jeeper, same club, that is all about her 3.5" Tera Flex. She lives in MI. Works in INDIANA, (mostly) but drives all over OH and KY as well. Frequently drives to TN for a weekend wheeling trip. Probably wheels 3 weekends a month SOMEWHERE. Loves her Tera Flex and DD this same rig. Has an hour commute on the interstate. Talks about the great customer service...how they sent her new parts for things that "failed/ wore out" in the past year since she installed the Tera Flex lift and 37" tires.
I followed her in my '04 TJ at one of the wheeling events we were both at, and she had no problems.
I also have wheeled with the other 2 guys that have the RK systems.

In my TJ I was able to "keep up" and at some points "do better/ easier" than the other 3 JEEPS, and yes at some points they did it better easier than I did.

The TJ was Modded in this way. 2.5" Old Man Emu SL, 1.25" JKS BL/ MML, SYE, upper control arms, winch, bumpers, regeared to 4.88s, spinning 33" x 12.50"s Duratracs on 15" Cragar soft 8s.

My OME lift was 5 years old. I say was because I sold the TJ this past week. To the guy with RK TJ. He had ANOTHER kid get their liscense this past month and needed another vehicle. He liked MY TJ so much he kept it for himself. Ironically he talks how much better it drives/ rides than his did/ does. The woman with the Jk and the Tera Flex kit also talked about buying my TJ when I first mentioned I was selling..thought it might be "fun" to have another JEEP.

Too late to make this a short story....bottom line my 5 year old OME kit never needed rebuilt. Still performed very well off road. And rode well on the street. THE RK and Tera Flex are both very good kits, but it really depends (like most MODS) what your Jeep will be used for in your world.

BTW the money from the sell of the TJ will be for building my '12 JK Sport...already have the OME 2" lift ordered..as well as the LIFETIME WARRANTY ACE parts. GOOD LUCK in YOUR CHOICE!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
The difference is quality. You didn't say which kit you're looking at or what shocks, or if 2 or 4 door. Those things will make up a bunch of your DD ride characteristics. A basic 2.5" Teraflex kit with some RS9000's or Fox shocks will be a sweet riding DD. Off road it will still go where most others go. If your looking at a RK kit then that is a different ball game, not so much of quality over TeraFlex but maintenance. Those arms that give that awesome flex that most will never use outside of the west will have to be maintained. I'm not saying you don't need flex on trails, just saying there is so much more that makes a good trail vehicle. How much time are you going to spend going over your rig before/after you off road? How much time are you going to spend on road? I'm older, I didn't want to spend a bunch of time under my rig, and I won't be bashing rocks so I went with the kit I did over RK.

The spring differences has been discussed to death and all have good and bad points. If you're looking for ride characteristics then the TeraFlex, RK, OME, AEV, Synergy coils are going to be very streetable. I can't say the Skyjackers are bad, but based on the many posts I've read would say they rate close to the Rough County. I personally wouldn't put them on a JK, they do seem to work on the TJ's though.

In the end it's your rig, your money, you have to decide and frankly not worry about what a guy on the forum said about it. Just ask yourself what you want, how much you have to spend, and be honest with what you are really going to do with said rig.

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
You didn't say what lift height... If it's a 2.5, the superlift kits include their own twin tube shocks which we have very little feedback on. They also use the cam washers for caster correction which the WF community typically does not approve of. It also does not include a rear track bar relocation bracket and it's missing rear sway bar links and bump stops.

All of which make it a cheap kit... The quality shocks are $60ea more and the rear track bar bracket is $120. The sway bar links are $50 and bump stops are $100.

The Teraflex kit paired with a quality shock is going to be $500 more than the Superlift and worth every penny. Include a set of control arm drop brackets if your on road ride is notably important.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You didn't say what lift height... If it's a 2.5, the superlift kits include their own twin tube shocks which we have very little feedback on. They also use the cam washers for caster correction which the WF community typically does not approve of. It also does not include a rear track bar relocation bracket and it's missing rear sway bar links and bump stops.

All of which make it a cheap kit... The quality shocks are $60ea more and the rear track bar bracket is $120. The sway bar links are $50 and bump stops are $100.

The Teraflex kit paired with a quality shock is going to be $500 more than the Superlift and worth every penny. Include a set of control arm drop brackets if your on road ride is notably important.

Sorry for a little more clarification here are my 4 lift options I am weighting currently.

Superlift Suspension 2.5" Lift Kit with Superide Shocks for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec Superlift $349, Will need to purchase the compression dampener kit, to run 35s for another $70. and an adjustable rear track bar for $150. for a total of $570ish.

Teraflex 1251002 - TeraFlex 2.5" Lift Kit with Shocks for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec terraflex lift, according to manufacturer spec, I will need wheel spacers for stock wheels (until I purchase new wheels in may)- $748 (not sure what price of wheel spacers are)

Rubicon Express 2.5" Budget Boost Coil Suspension System with Monotube Shocks for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec $599, dont know a whole lot about this option either.

2.5in Suspension Lift Kit (Coils) for 07-15 Jeep JK Wrangler | Rough Country Suspension Systems $349 (with performance kit includes shocks) Thought about buying aftermarke shocks and just spending the 279 on the springs, and then dropping money on fox or rancho shocks.

Those are my optoins, Pros and cons of each? I know very little about the RE lifts themselves, but was an option ordering through my small town mechanic (will not be purchasing from quadratec, but prices are 5-10 dollars cheaper ordering from my mechanic).

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
Ok, the Rough Country and Superlift are low end kits missing some parts as I noted above, that's why they are cheaper.

The other 2 are decent kits and while I prefer the Teraflex, I would get the one without shocks and add a set of Rancho's. That said, of those 2 the Rubicon Express comes with Bilstein mono shocks which are known to ride a little firm, but the are a quality piece. The Teraflex shocks are standard twin tube. That doesn't make them bad and they will probably have a softer ride.

For what's included at the prices you listed, I would buy the Rubicon Express. Axle mount track bar bracket, Bilsteins, bump stops, sway bar links and more.

Here's a thread where you can get a lot more info.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/rubicon-express-2-5-monosteins-review-254067.html

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
Looks like you got this Pressurized ^^ :thumb:

I like both
RE kit, add rear axle bracket and front lower CA's or drop brackets.
The TF kit (without shocks) already supply's the bracket and bump stops, but you'll need shocks and front lowers or drop brackets.
Yea, that RE kit at that price is hard to beat. It's got Bilsteins and an axle mount track bar bracket, nothing else really comes close. Just add control arm drop brackets and drive away happy.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, that RE kit at that price is hard to beat. It's got Bilsteins and an axle mount track bar bracket, nothing else really comes close. Just add control arm drop brackets and drive away happy.

Suggestion on the axle mount bracket, Bump stomps? Control arm drop brackets necessary at this time?

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
Suggestion on the axle mount bracket, Bump stomps? Control arm drop brackets necessary at this time?
I mentioned the track bar bracket and bumpstops because they are included with the RE lift, which you don't get with the RC or Superlift.

Many of us are big fans of the control arm drop brackets. That RE lift, and many others, come with cam washers for caster adjustment and we prefer not to install those and use the brackets instead. To install the cam washers, you have to drill out your LCA mount and if you ever take them back off, you have to weld a washer on to correct the hole. The drop brackets are $100 and provide much more than $100 in performance.

Rubicon Express Part RE9800 - Control Arm Drop Brackets - Fits 2007 to 2015 Jeep JK Wrangler, Rubicon and Unlimited - 4 Wheel Parts

Buy the RE 2.5 lift and the brackets and install and be happy! :drinks:

If you use an installer, make sure he skips the cam washer installation.

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
RE kit, add rear axle bracket and front lower CA's or drop brackets.
Ken, that kit has the axle bracket... That's what makes it a real value.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Ken, that kit has the axle bracket... That's what makes it a real value.
OK .. honestly that bracket is just asking to be torn right off. Compared to the TF bracket which secures to the factory mount, axle tube, and lower CA. That bracket only secures to the factory mount. Procomp has the same type of bracket. Just recently on here (WF)one was torn off.

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
OK .. honestly that bracket is just asking to be torn right off. Compared to the TF bracket which secures to the factory mount, axle tube, and lower CA. That bracket only secures to the factory mount. Procomp has the same type of bracket. Just recently on here (WF)one was torn off.
I get it, it doesn't have the 3rd u-bolt connection point on the axle. That said, my google-fu isn't coming up with any reported failures.

Maybe not on a rock rig, but it looks better and stronger than all of the frame side brackets.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the info guys, I just placed my order.

RE with mono Shocks and CA drop bracket kit.

Looking at the installation instructions

It says offset needed for 35s is 0-12mm+ thats 5-5.5" backspacing correct for a 9 inch wide rim?

Appreciate the input all!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have the RE kit along with some other goodies..LOVE the ride I got out of my set up on and off road and it flexes just fine for me. See my sig for the details
Cameron

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys, I just placed my order. RE with mono Shocks and CA drop bracket kit. Looking at the installation instructions It says offset needed for 35s is 0-12mm+ thats 5-5.5" backspacing correct for a 9 inch wide rim? Appreciate the input all!
0 -6 or -12. Would be 5 4.75 4.5 backspacing on a 9 wide wheel, all will work.

I think you're going to like it!

Are you doing the install yourself?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts