Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Jeep newbie as I am curently waiting for my 2013 JK Sport S with 6speed and 3.73 gears /max tow package. The good news is I got an email yesterday that said my Jeep had graduated to paint:dance:

So I want to put some new tires and wheels on my Jeep and here is what I am thinking. 315/75/16 Duratracs on MB72 16x8.5 wheels. I then want to add some Bushwack Flat Flares to help accomadate this almost 35 inch tire.

My life currently revolves around my three kids so this ride will be a DD. However, I do plan on driving over anybody on any soccer field in the Washington DC metro area. But I do love the outdoors and am hoping that this new Jeep will lead to some family offroad/camping/snowboard trips.

My thought process with this set up is that I get the look of the bigger tires and the flares while I save up for the best lift I can get. I am concerned about rubbing and I have yet to find any info on Lift Laws in DC that speak to how far my tires can stick out past my fenders.

I would love some pics if anybody is running this setup, thoughts on how much rubbing I should expect and any help with the fender issues.
Thanks

·
Banned
3,288 Posts
bump.

you'll need to trim your rear pinch seem.

but you can get away with running flat fenders and 35's on the streets.

just don't go off road.

good idea on saving for the lift.

lots of times and experience, seeing people spend money halfway the first time and spend more later on to correct what they originally wanted.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not sure how the gearing/tire combo work with the new six since I have the old six so that's the only thing I'll say about it but I did find this for you.

District of Columbia Lift Laws | Vehicle Modification Rules (unfortunately, it looks like you can't do the fenders/flares.)

I agree with pluke, pretty much have to since I went halfway on my first round of mods and ended up wasting money.

And welcome to Jeeping.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Interesting link.
It looks to me like the flat fenders can be done as long as they're not wider than OEM or you haven't extended the factory ones.
It also doesn't state if tires can or cannot extend out wider than the fenders.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Rtone1583 said:
Not sure how the gearing/tire combo work with the new six since I have the old six so that's the only thing I'll say about it
The 6speed is the same from 07-present. It might even be the same one in later model Tjs but don't quote me on that. The six speed with 3.73's will be perfectly fine to push 35's. like pluke said save up for the lift. Do it once and do it right. If you can save up don't go for a leveling kit or spacer lift. You'll be happier with a coil lift 2.5-3" that would be plenty with flat flares

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Tumbleweed said:
Interesting link.
It looks to me like the flat fenders can be done as long as they're not wider than OEM or you haven't extended the factory ones.
It also doesn't state if tires can or cannot extend out wider than the fenders.
I'd say as long as they look clean no one will know if they are an inch wider. I think that law is really against the ppl who classily rivet plastic to their fenders to make them wider to cover their tires

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I've had 2 cops comment on my illegal fenders (my tires stick out about 2 inches) but both said they didn't know what the actual law was (I do!) and that they didn't care. LOL Of course that's CT and really means nothing.

I think your plan sounds great. You will definitely need to do something with the fenders though, even my 33's rub with no lift with even a little flexing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Just to give you an idea this is my rig. Only ha the teraflex leveling kit, 33s, and 1.5" wheel spacers. A bigger lift will come in the future along with a regear for bigger tires.

Attachments

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,476 Posts
You can do a 35" on a stock JK. You CAN'T take it off road though! No flexing! You will need to cut or remove the front air dam and you will also need to make sure the new wheels have the correct backspacing or run spacers if your going to run the stock wheels. Flat fenders will help give you the look your going for and give you a litte more room to "play".

As for fenders, ACE Engineering has some that is very nice and not to expensive. $595.00 for all four and they come powder coated! They are steel and that way you will have some protection off road. They are coming out with a stock width one as well.

ACE Engineering JK Tubular Fenders

Let us know if you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help. Feel free to PM, email, or call us at anytime...

-Jason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts