Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to place my order tomorrow for our Wrangler Unlimited. Does the Supplemental side air bags provide any head protection at all? Some air bag photos seem to blow up and appear to. Having been t-boned in a van and hitting my head on the window and frame, I want the protection. Can't go around driving with a helmet on, or can I?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Congrats! It's supposed to keep your head from smacking the door window. Ordered mine with it, definitely won't regret it. Helmets are always optional, they will only distract other drivers. It might be a challenge getting in and out of the jeep if you're on the taller side though.

Better to have it and not need it...

Don't forget to hit the 2017 waiting room thread to agonize with everyone else who recently ordered, myself included!

·
Registered
966 Posts
As far as I can tell it does not offer head protection those would be from curtain airbags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
It doesn't directly "pillow" your head, rather it prevents your body from staying still while your car moves sideways; it keeps your head and body spaced away from the side/window of the vehicle during a side impact. Attached a pic to see the bag.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't directly "pillow" your head, rather it prevents your body from staying still while your car moves sideways; it keeps your head and body spaced away from the side/window of the vehicle during a side impact. Attached a pic to see the bag.
Thanks, that's what it looks like.

Hey, how long does it take to build? Dealer says 6-8 weeks. I'm in Southern California so it's a long way to ship.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks, that's what it looks like.

Hey, how long does it take to build? Dealer says 6-8 weeks. I'm in Southern California so it's a long way to ship.
Dealer said the goal is 6 weeks or less, but can be up to 8. So far for me, it looks like 6 is pretty spot on:

Ordered 3/18/17
Estimated Dealer ETA is 4/27-5/3;

It was done being built and shipped on 4/12, so as of now it looks like 3.5 to build, 2.5-3.5 to ship to the west coast via train to LA area, then truck to your So Cal destination. It also depends on the model you get, because of any specialty parts they might need for your order and I think they try to schedule "like" models or builds.

Here's a link to the 2015 waiting room, which has a ton of JK order info:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2015-jk-order-waiting-room-735386.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer said the goal is 6 weeks or less, but can be up to 8. So far for me, it looks like 6 is pretty spot on:

Ordered 3/18/17
Estimated Dealer ETA is 4/27-5/3;

It was done being built and shipped on 4/12, so as of now it looks like 3.5 to build, 2.5-3.5 to ship to the west coast via train to LA area, then truck to your So Cal destination. It also depends on the model you get, because of any specialty parts they might need for your order and I think they try to schedule "like" models or builds.

Here's a link to the 2015 waiting room, which has a ton of JK order info:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2015-jk-order-waiting-room-735386.html
Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
500 Posts
They are NOT meant to protect your head. Still, better to have them for the protection they do offer. From the Jeep build site:

Supplemental front seat-mounted side airbags[1] offer additional pelvic and thoracic protection for your vehicle's front seat occupants.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
side impact protects torso and nothing else. they do not provide any head protection

expect the JL to likely have airbags for head.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just to clarify:

Because the pelvic and thoracic parts of the body contains a higher surface area and more weight, that is the more important area to cushion during an impact to reduce the overall blow to the body. Biomechanically speaking, if the situation were reversed for a 150 lb. person, and there were only a curtain air bag, the head would make contact with the now sideways moving car. that means its a roughly 10 lb head and cervical vertebrae vs the rest of your jeep + the colliding car = broken neck. Usually you'll see side with curtain airbags, not just curtains but it all depends on design. Wranglers have no place to install a curtain system, so the side seat bags get you most of the way there.

Preventing the space between the entire body and the door from getting closer prevents your head from getting closer to the side of the car very effectively. Since your head is connected by your cervical vertebrae to the thoracic vertebrae, you can reasonably and safely assume it reduces (but not completely prevents) the potential of your head hitting the side of the car (Not to mention crashing your head through glass!) even though the intended contact area of the body is the thoracic and pelvic area. There might be whiplash and concussion, etc. but less chance of a broken neck, skull and lacerations.

Any air bags are meant to prevent otherwise catastrophic injury to the body and face, not head injuries in general.

Regardless of the accident or any airbag situation, head injuries/concussions come from the brain hitting the skull, not necessarily the head physically hitting objects.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Side curtains to protect your head, would preclude having a soft top or a removable hard top.
Not true. There are many convertibles that have both bags. Removing the doors could be an issue though. With the doors removed they would still deploy, just would not be very effective.

·
Registered
10,173 Posts
Not true. There are many convertibles that have both bags. Removing the doors could be an issue though. With the doors removed they would still deploy, just would not be very effective.
Where from over the doors, with a convertible top, would they deploy? I mean, side curtains deploy down from the roof, and with a convertible, there is no roof.

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
Where from over the doors, with a convertible top, would they deploy? I mean, side curtains deploy down from the roof, and with a convertible, there is no roof.

They extend up instead of down.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Still in the research phase for my new JK order, I was wondering about this question as well and of course did some searching on it.

I found this picture on a JK-Owners Page. Look at the deployment area

(apparently the airbag deployed while off-roading, but that is of course not my point here)

Another picture that appears to be from Jeep:

On these pictures it seems as if the JK's side airbag would give at least some protection as high up as the head.

However my MAIN CONCERN on the JK would be something possibly far worse, INJURY FROM THE UPPER SEAT BELT MOUNT.

If you look closer it stands out quite far from the pillar. For me, in me driving position with the seat back, it would be right next to my head. That worries me as even a small side impact could send my head right into it.

Further, I believe, that even if there was a 'thin' curtain airbag deploying above that upper seat belt mount, I fear that it still might 'push' through a thin curtain airbag and cause injury that way.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Actually the pictures that I posted may show the pre 2011 model years. Certainly of my posted pictures, the dark jeep looks like pre 2011. I can't make it out on the silver one. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on the years can chime in.

·
Registered
10,173 Posts
They extend up instead of down.
Can you reference a convertible, any convertible, that has side curtain air bags that extend up, from out of the door sill (side window sill)? I've been looking for an example, and haven't come up with one yet.

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts