Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Searched and they are all old threads. Was wondering if any of you surf and what rack you use to secure your board. I have short boards long boards and paddle boards. I do have soft straps and can just strap it to the top but it's just not as secure and safe.

What are you guys running?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I take the top off my jeep and strap it to the "sport cage" with the straps that used to go through my racks when I had a normal roofed vehicle. Put a towel on the sound bar and one on the windshield and it's good to go.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Like HSL, I just strap my boards to the roll cage with a towel under them and have never had an issue. I have seen on the forum that there is something called a safari cargo cage (?) that attaches at the windshield anchors and the rear of the jeep that also allows you to drop your top. That might be something you could pick up on craigslist. Just a thought.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the Highrock 4x4 rack system and haven't had any trouble with it yet. It's a no-drill attachment system so I can take it off without worrying about holes in the tub, and it's fairly inexpensive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Highrock 4x4 rack system and haven't had any trouble with it yet. It's a no-drill attachment system so I can take it off without worrying about holes in the tub, and it's fairly inexpensive.
Rad guys! Can I see some pics?

Do you guys ride freeway at all? Mine chatters quite a bit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Haven't had any problems with it rattling on the highway, it squeaks a little off-road, but a little wd-40 and some tightened bolts should fix that

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've been up to 60mph with it strapped to the cage no problems. As long as your straps are long enough you can get them nice and tight. Sorry I don't have any pics but it's kind of straight forward to picture.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I take the top off my jeep and strap it to the "sport cage" with the straps that used to go through my racks when I had a normal roofed vehicle. Put a towel on the sound bar and one on the windshield and it's good to go.

I did this last week for the 1st time as I am a new Jeep owner, I evidently didn't have the bungee tight enough on the front because as I am going 65 down the freeway the board lifted a little and I got a towel in the face, haha. Live and learn.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use a Lange "the rack" for my boards. I like it because you can use it with the top up, which is important here in Florida because of our afternoon showers. The only tricky part was that I had to modify the rear part of the rack to fit my 33" spare tire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Also, I wouldn't use bungees to secure surfboards. Buy some $20 surf straps at your local surf shop and protect your boards from flying off the jeep and potentially ruining the boards or hurting someone in the car behind you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Also, I wouldn't use bungees to secure surfboards. Buy some $20 surf straps at your local surf shop and protect your boards from flying off the jeep and potentially ruining the boards or hurting someone in the car behind you.

ya i gotta go get some real straps, i got away with bungees all these years with my ranger

·
Registered
392 Posts
75mph highway driving tested and perfectly safe. Don't have a roof rack but usually just take top off and strap them down. Haven't tried it with just the bikini top but I'm sure it would work.

ForumRunner_20140420_173030.png

·
Registered
11 Posts
75mph highway driving tested and perfectly safe. Don't have a roof rack but usually just take top off and strap them down. Haven't tried it with just the bikini top but I'm sure it would work.
what straps do you use?? Just standard surf ones to the roll bar or what? Thanks!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
what straps do you use?? Just standard surf ones to the roll bar or what? Thanks!!
I just use standard metal cam buckle tie downs from Wal-Mart and use either a surf pad or cut up foam noodle to protect the boards from strap when it's tightened down. Just loop one through around mid point driverside on front rollbar to passenger side then a second strap midway on rear part of rollbar across to other side. And make sure it's tight and boards have almost no movement if you try to wiggle them.

10344CAT.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just use standard metal cam buckle tie downs from Wal-Mart and use either a surf pad or cut up foam noodle to protect the boards from strap when it's tightened down. Just loop one through around mid point driverside on front rollbar to passenger side then a second strap midway on rear part of rollbar across to other side. And make sure it's tight and boards have almost no movement if you try to wiggle them.
thank you! I'll try it for sure

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use the alien light to support a piece of angle iron with a pad. Stick my 11' longboard out the back and secure with a single ratchet strap. Went 100 miles at 80 mph with no issues. Replaced the nuts that hold the light with eye screws through the angle so I can remove quickly when not needed. Will trim the angle iron and cut the pad when I get home (electrical tape in top pic). This was a 15min fix at 5:15am for a dawn patrol. Have to put back seat down (JKU).

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
FWIW - Harmony makes great straps with a rubber buckle. That way you don't have to worry about the metal bucket dinging your boards.

·
Registered
145 Posts
FWIW - Harmony makes great straps with a rubber buckle. That way you don't have to worry about the metal bucket dinging your boards.
I dont secure to the bar, I secure to the bumper below. Up and over. Have a bunch of ratchets that are rubber coated but the buckles are away from the board.

Harmony straps are good up and to the point where your a-hole brother steals them for his motorcycles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts