Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm just curious if there are any seasoned surfers who drive wranglers out there?
I started in '88. I like that term, "seasoned", it sounds so much cooler than "old".

Speaking of, have you SEEN the wave forecast for early next week?
It looks insane.
Manasquan is going to be just about perfect Wednesday, and they're calling for 8' (EIGHT FEET!) here at Jones Beach Tues night into Weds morning.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Paddled out at Rockaway yesterday around 6pm. It was insane. 4-6' easy with huge bomber sets that had to be 8', some bigger. I've only surfed in Florida and NY so I've never been in surf that big.
Amazingly, it was very clean. The wind wasn't bad, kind of weak with big gusts now and then.

The biggest sets were breaking way out at sea. People were getting mauled out there. Guys on short boards were getting the worst of it because they were mostly trying to duck dive huge fast walls of whitewater. I was on my 7'-10" because it paddles fast and can handle the size. It's a bear to duck dive though so with bigger stuff, if nobody's near me, I just toss the board and swim for the bottom. Made it out from the beach pretty quick and managed to make it outside in time to miss getting flattened by the big sets.

Caught one wave to the beach after sitting out there avoiding bombs for almost an hour. Easily the longest ride and definitely the biggest wave I've ever had by far. Easily 8' from the third break out then reshaping at the second break to about 5' and fast. Adrenaline was through the roof- I was literally shaking so bad I couldn't get my leash off on the beach.

Walking back down the beach a lady that had been watching said, "I bet you wish it was like this all the time!". I dont know about that.... certainly nothing casual about that session. I was keyed up and in survival mode the whole time out there. I'll take conditions like that a few times a year and be happy the rest of the time with knee to chest high mush. Guess I am getting old!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yup, I surf LBI all the time. It's been tough with the all the beach replenishment screwing up all the sandbars. Some spots are coming back though, hopefully this winter moves some sand around and bring back some breaks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Surfing

Surfer here from NJ. I drive a 2 dr JK .. Fun little waves today out there!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Unfortunately, beach replenishment should continue on the north shores this summer. The 7-11 ought to be a good spot though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Im south jersey, mainly margate and ac spring-fall. Just got back from a sweet 3 week puerto Rico surf trip.
I shove a 9'2" longboard into my tj

1 - 12 of 12 Posts