Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing some light offroading and as I was backing up and turning the wheel there was a pop and my steering wheel let loose. I stopped checked it out didn't see anything but decided to head home anyway and now my steering wheel is a little harder to turn and it snaps back to neutral really hard (offset to the left though). And when I make a turn I hear a grinding metal noise like busted gears. Nothing in the forward suspension or steering is loose after close inspection. In my inexpert opinion the only thing I can think is steering box. Thoughts comments. I just don't want to buy a 200$ part that doesn't need fixing. I just don't have that kind of money.

·
Registered
98 Posts
How are the U-joints on the steering column in the engine bay? Could the bracket in the center of your steering column, also in the engine bay, be bad?

There are master rebuild kits for the steering box also for around $30.

You could take the box off your Jeep and look to see if a tooth broke off.

Let us know pal...

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll take the box off wheni get out of class today and look at it. U Joints were tight when I checked them. I'll definitely look into the rebuild kit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just re-read my post. I must have not had any coffee yet! I sorta' left a sentence out:

If your box has a broken tooth you can get one from the junk yard... then rebuild that with the seal kit.

Sorry for being dumb!

Have fun in class. I am like Summer Vacation. I have no class :D

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never messed with a steering box before so the rebuild will be a challenge. But the sound ingesting is mos def shredded gears. It scared the bajezzus outta me cuz the first though I had when I heard the noise was "oh no. Not my diff, I can't afford a 1K fix right now!"

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,104 Posts
If you find a Durango steering box (not sure what year models will work) and rebuild it you will have a much beefier steering set-up.

Maybe someone who has done it or has more knowledge will chime in... or you could search the web but I know this is a common swap.

·
Registered
690 Posts
02Prove said:
If you find a Durango steering box (not sure what year models will work) and rebuild it you will have a much beefier steering set-up.

Maybe someone who has done it or has more knowledge will chime in... or you could search the web but I know this is a common swap.
Yep the durango with the v8 a 98-99 year model with out the snowplow set up it will run you right about $170.00 from autozone.... It is a direct bolt in I will post a link to a right up...

(ou812) did a awesome right up on an install of one I sold him...

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sounds great actually! Since I'm pretty sure the extra stress from 33's is what popped my steering in the firstplace.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts