Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some leveling/lift advice. I know this topic has been done to death, but I have a very specific, unique requirement that makes many of those threads irrelevant for me.

My garage door is only 78" tall.

Before you ask, yes I'm sure. No I can't raise the door any higher. Yes, I know I can adjust the door at the motor, it's already within a 1/2 of the stop bolt when open. My garage is under our master bedroom where a typical house would have a basement. Because of this there's a beam that goes across the length of the garage to support the floor of the bedroom. This required me to use a tight turn radius install for my garage door.

I'm looking to improve the overall ride of my JKU. Right now I get a lot of chatter going over road imperfections from the front axle and want to do what I can to tame that down. Also, when I have 2-3 people in the back seat I occasionally get a rubbing sound from the rear tires, although I'm not 100% sure of it's origin.

I have a 2015 JKU Rubicon.

For a suspension I have a Teraflex leveling kit, stock shocks, and stock Rubi coils.

On the body I have Rugged Ridge Hurricane fenders, the added weight of the LoD bumper, and a full sized spare. I've got probably 215+ lbs of extra weight at the rear of the vehicle and I'm planning on a winch and LoD Signature Shorty for the front.

On the axles I'm using 315/75 R17 BFG A/T's (Load Range C IIRC) on properly back spaced wheels and the Teraflex Big Rotor kit as a brake upgrade.

I've cut my rock rails back about 2" to prevent rubbing so I don't think that's where the rubbing is coming from.

Just to add some numbers.

Garage Door: 78"
Roof of JK to Lowest Part Of Door Currently: 7"
CB Antenna to garage door when open: 4 1/2" (it does hit going in and out)

I'm debating on going to better, properly long coils with a proper length shock. I've been looking at things like the Teraflex Sport ST1 suspension kit or the EVO 1.5" leveling kit with maybe a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks.

Let me be honest with you, as well as myself. I'm 90% a mall crawler. I do like to get off road when I can, but I'd be lying if I said I hit serious trails, make annual trips to Moab, and spend every weekend at the off road park. I like to get out 3-4 times a year and do some moderate trails. I don't need a long arm kit. I don't need super amounts of flex. I'm never going to run 37" tires. I'm never going to need Dana 60's. I seriously doubt I'll ever need gussets. I don't need shocks with reservoir unless the cost is within 30% more of normal shocks.

What I need is a suspension that's got decent road manners, helps kill body roll, and can take moderate trails when I can find the time to get off road. I know it's a Jeep, it's not my first, won't be my last, so the fact it's never going to be GREAT on road isn't lost to me. I just want something that doesn't make me feel like the front axle is on a Pogo stick every time I hit a pot hole or bump in the pavement.

TL : DR

I need a 1.5" - 2" suspension for my mall crawler that will take the weight of my bumpers and mods while still giving me a decent ride.

·
Administrator
12,451 Posts
I have a 2015 JKUR 2" rancho with geo brackets and 9000xl shocks. added longer rear bumpstop or rather plates on axle to hit bump stop. If fully loaded(4 passenger trail tools in back,cool etc) will still get some minor rub on the rear inner flat fender material. I have been very happy both on and off road with it. Running 315's.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2015 JKUR 2" rancho with geo brackets and 9000xl shocks. added longer rear bumpstop or rather plates on axle to hit bump stop. If fully loaded(4 passenger trail tools in back,cool etc) will still get some minor rub on the rear inner flat fender material. I have been very happy both on and off road with it. Running 315's.
Thanks for the input! Rancho's got a pretty solid rep. Do they still do the remote control on the RS9000's or did they finally give that up?

·
Super Moderator
14,525 Posts
It's a bit spendy, but the TF ST1 with Falcon 3.1 shocks would absolutely be my recommendation. It does everything really well... You've got a Rubi and it's suspension system is the heart of the Jeep. Go for it.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Without a doubt the ST1/ST2 TF kits are nice. I run the TF 2.5" lift w/9550 shocks, and the 8 Sport control arms too. (found them on FB market place for a steal). Jeep rides great and fits 35s well. I go out no more than 6 times a year, so I'm not a hard-core wheeler either.

·
Administrator
12,451 Posts
Thanks for the input! Rancho's got a pretty solid rep. Do they still do the remote control on the RS9000's or did they finally give that up?
you know I am not sure.. they might but frankly once I figured out which setting front and back worked I have not changed them. But it was nice to be able to choose,.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a bit spendy, but the TF ST1 with Falcon 3.1 shocks would absolutely be my recommendation. It does everything really well... You've got a Rubi and it's suspension system is the heart of the Jeep. Go for it.

They sure are proud of those shocks. But I expect they'd be the last set I'd ever buy for the Jeep. Watching that video of Dennis smash the hell out of them definitely makes you a believer.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some quick numbers:

TERAFLEX 1.5IN SPORT ST1 SUSPENSION SYSTEM w/ Bilstein 5100 Shocks
$608.99 + $318.85 = $927.84

Teraflex 1.5in Sport ST1 Suspension System w/ 2.1 Falcon Shocks
$1,258.98

Teraflex 1.5in Sport ST1 Suspension System w/ 3.1 Falcon Shocks
$1,758.98

Teraflex Suspension 2.5in Lift Kit, w/ 9550 Shocks
$833.98

Teraflex Suspension 2.5in Lift Kit, w/ Bilstein 5100 Shocks - JK 4DR
$926.99

Teraflex 2.5in Sport ST2 Suspension System w/ Bilstein 5100 Shocks - JK 4DR
$1,294.97 + $318.85 = $1613.82

Teraflex 2.5in Sport ST2 Suspension System with 3.1 Falcon Shocks
$2,444.96

Teraflex 2.5in Sport ST2 Suspension System w/ 2.1 Falcon Shocks
$1,944.96

This leaves me with a few questions.

1.) How much height difference is there between the 1.5" ST1 and the 2.5" ST2 on a stock Rubicon. I know it SAYS 1" but is that actionable after install?

2.) How much of a difference is there between the ST and normal lift kits?

3.) Bilstein 5100's vs Falcon 2.1 vs Falcon 3.1. Is there enough of an improvement between the 2.1 and the 3.1 to justify the $500 price hike on something that's a daily driver?

·
Super Moderator
21,971 Posts
For a daily driver that gets very little offroad the 2.1's or 5100's will be sufficient for sure but the 3.1's are really nice. If you want to get exactly 2" of lift then run an AEV 2" spacer kit. no guessing on what lift you will end up with like on coil lifts. I will say I have installed TF 1.5 and 2.5 and installed height will be closer to 1" difference than say 2" difference.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For a daily driver that gets very little offroad the 2.1's or 5100's will be sufficient for sure but the 3.1's are really nice. If you want to get exactly 2" of lift then run an AEV 2" spacer kit. no guessing on what lift you will end up with like on coil lifts. I will say I have installed TF 1.5 and 2.5 and installed height will be closer to 1" difference than say 2" difference.
Can you clarify this statement for me please? Are you saying the 2.5" lift will only net 1" of actual lift?

·
Super Moderator
21,971 Posts
Can you clarify this statement for me please? Are you saying the 2.5" lift will only net 1" of actual lift?
no I am saying a 2.5 TF lift will net you closer to 1" of lift over a TF 1.5" than it will to 2" over a 2.5" lift. ie the 1.5" lift might net you 2" of actuall lift and the 2.5" might net you 3" of actual lift but not 4" of actual lift if that makes sense.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no I am saying a 2.5 TF lift will net you closer to 1" of lift over a TF 1.5" than it will to 2" over a 2.5" lift. ie the 1.5" lift might net you 2" of actuall lift and the 2.5" might net you 3" of actual lift but not 4" of actual lift if that makes sense.
Understood.

This gets me into interesting territory as I'm using a 1.5" TF leveling kit right now with the Rubicon springs. I would think I'd gain height going to the 1.5" TF Coil Lift due to the higher spring rate it uses.

Gaining height isn't my primary concern. Ride quality is. I also see I can get the AEV 2.5" Dual Sport XT lift with Bilsteins for $1000.00 which puts it in the running with TeraFlex for cost.

·
Super Moderator
21,971 Posts
Aev 2.5 is a great dd choice

·
Super Moderator
21,971 Posts
I have a Mopar 2" lift with falcon 3.1's and 35's and no where near 78" tip of oem antenna is 79" I remove my cb antenna unless I'm on the trail

·
Super Moderator
21,971 Posts
My CB antenna is my radio antenna.
I would never let a cb antenna prevent me from getting the lift I want. How often do really use your cb?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I would never let a cb antenna prevent me from getting the lift I want. How often do really use your cb?
That's easy to fix. Tie the end of the antenna down to something like every state police car I've ever seen does with their antennas. Untie it when you think you'll need it....like on a trail run with others.

·
Super Moderator
21,971 Posts
That's easy to fix. Tie the end of the antenna down to something like every state police car I've ever seen does with their antennas. Untie it when you think you'll need it....like on a trail run with others.
yup that works..this is what I do with my CB antenna when not using it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The CB antenna is my AM/FM antenna as well. I'm running the Rugged Ridge AM/FM/CB antenna kit that replaces the factory AM/FM antenna mount with a CB antenna mount. I have 4" of clearance with the antenna after I get past the initial downturn of the garage door and it's a Firefly so that's not a HUGE factor. If I do remove it, I loose all local radio. Plus, I use it as a clearance guide for the parking garages around here.

Right now it's looking like the Teraflex 1.5in Sport ST1 Suspension System w/ 2.1 Falcon Shocks is going to be what I probably want. I'm just curious if there's that huge a difference between the Falcon 2.1's and the Bilsteins to justify the double the cost.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts