Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
I think another improvement to help with the towing manners would be to upgrade the rear track bar and brackets. I really like the Synergy upper rear track bar bracket brace. I would look into a strong bolt-on or welded lower bracket that raises the track bar 4"-6" inches and a very heavy duty track bar with a high durometer rubber bushing. A 2 Door will possibly run into clearance issues with 6" raised bracket but I believe 4 doors don't have this issue. A lot of people don't realize the benefit of raising the track bar to improve roll center and trying to get the track bar as level as possible at ride height to minimize axle shift during articulation. My favorite brands for track bars are Metalcloak and JKS but I'm sure there are other good ones but ask about the durometer of the clevite bushing in other brands. JKS uses one of highest durometer clevite bushings while MC uses a patented stiff articulating bushing.

I have only towed once and I was significantly overweight with my 2 door JK, It did great going through the mountain passes and I ran into a windy snow storm going to Aspen. I want to think that having the old 6" Metalcloak bracket and rear track bar along with the Synergy upper bracket kept things under control. I do drive my 2 door aggressively on the street and forest roads and it feels very stable and planted for a Jeep on 37s and 3.5" lift. Towing and encountering crosswinds can put a lot of lateral stress on the track bar and brackets.

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas Engineering Auto part

Gesture Font Screenshot Output device Electronic device

JKS Track Bar
Product Line Font Tool Screenshot

Automotive tire Tire Aircraft Bumper Automotive exterior

Barnes 4wd
Font Chair Comfort Auto part Fashion accessory

Automotive exterior Font Auto part Brand Logo

·
Registered
629 Posts
OK you guys. I just spent the last 45 minutes trying to stuff an airbag into my spring coil. There is NO way that thing is going inside that coil the way I'm doing it. I have lifted that side so that the tire is off the ground, but I have not disconnected the shock or the sway bar. Do I need to disconnect those to allow for additional droop? There is seriously only about 3/4" space between my coils when the rear wheel is fully drooped. No amount of four letter words seems to be helping. What am I doing wrong...?
sway bar will definitely need to be disconnected and good chance shock will too but try just 1 link on sway bar first. If you have stock control arms you may need to loosen the control arm bo=lts to let the metal sleeve in the clevite bushing to rotate freely. Remember to retighten control arm bolts to proper torque after the vehicle is back on ground at ride height.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts