Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new to the Jeep world and also I'm new in this forum. I recently bought my first Jeep ever, a 2003 TJ.
The other day I noticed that the passenger side is lower than the driver side. I was told the jeep has a 3" suspension lift.
I measured the springs, driver side front 14", passenger side front 13", rear springs 11". Does these numbers make sense? It appears that there is a 2" lift at the front suspension and a 3" lift at the rear suspension. I assume i need to replace the passenger side spring.
This is all very new to me, Jeep by itself, lift kits...... I'm not sure what best thing is to do. I'm thinking replacing both front springs, but which length springs? 2" or 3". Maybe it would be better to replace all shocks and springs to be sure every wheel is identical and correct?
In general, the Jeep seem wobbly and soggy. I'm not sure if this is normal for a jeep, a sign of bad suspension?

Any advice?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Sounds like a cheaper lift that is just worn springs now. I would get new springs all around, and shocks, unless they look like they are in good shape.

The springs could be the sole cause, but tough to tell sight unseen. You could get an immediate impact from just new springs, or springs and shocks, but not with just shocks alone.

Again, all sight unseen....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying!!
Ok, I was looking into getting the Rough Country 2.5" lift kit. Any other recommendations? I probably would feel better having it all replaced. Not sure what height I have now with the differences in spring length I measured. I also noticed, whoever installed the lift kit, had also lowered the transfer case skid plate. Do you know if there is anything I should pay attention too?

·
Premium Member
7,095 Posts
sounds like your front springs have sagged. its not uncommon for the passenger side to sag more than the driver due to engine roll putting more weight on that coil.

you could grab a set of 3" front BDS coils for ~$115 and leave the rears alone. as long as they are holding the jeep at the desired height theres no need to replace them. then grab a set of Rancho 5000x shocks front and rear. they usually have a deal in october where you buy 3 shocks and get the 4th one free.

as to the TC drop, you could add a 1.25" body lift and a 1" motor mount lift and then remove the TC drop which would give you a Frankenstein zone 4.25" combo. note, BDS coils are used in the zone kit.

I agree with above, Zone>RC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds like your front springs have sagged. its not uncommon for the passenger side to sag more than the driver due to engine roll putting more weight on that coil.

you could grab a set of 3" front BDS coils for ~$115 and leave the rears alone. as long as they are holding the jeep at the desired height theres no need to replace them. then grab a set of Rancho 5000x shocks front and rear. they usually have a deal in october where you buy 3 shocks and get the 4th one free.

as to the TC drop, you could add a 1.25" body lift and a 1" motor mount lift and then remove the TC drop which would give you a Frankenstein zone 4.25" combo. note, BDS coils are used in the zone kit.

I agree with above, Zone>RC
Thanks for replies!! So looking at the Rancho shocks Iguess I would need these :RS55239 and RS55241. these are claimed to use for 2-3" lift and actually 2.5" shocks. Does this sound correct to you? I just don't want to order any wrong parts.
I assume this combo (BSD coils and Rancho shocks) is a better quality option to a RC lift kit?
Thanks

·
Registered
2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport
207 Posts
Thanks for replies!! So looking at the Rancho shocks Iguess I would need these :RS55239 and RS55241. these are claimed to use for 2-3" lift and actually 2.5" shocks. Does this sound correct to you? I just don't want to order any wrong parts.
I assume this combo (BSD coils and Rancho shocks) is a better quality option to a RC lift kit?
Thanks
Getting proper shock length is an evolution all its own. There's a procedure for that.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Thanks
You have to measure for yourself and your Jeep.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts