Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked with a guy about lifting my 05 TJ. He is recommending a 4" suspension lift, he carries Superlift, for $1500 installed. I asked about less expensive lifts...he said "the cheap $200 lifts off the Internet people install themselves will start to shake severely enough to force you to stop to regain control." Truth or B.S. ? Is this a scare tactic sales pitch or is there any truth to it. Is this the death wobble yall keep talking about? Do yall recommend any lift to get or stay away from? I do mostly pavement travel maybe some light off roading in the future. If so it would be more mud than rocks since I live in South Louisiana. Thanks in advance for you help
Jeephoe

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It depends on what you are going to do with it. I don't know where in the world you could find a 4 in. lift for 200 bucks regardless of what it is. I know this. You can get a 2 in Budget Boost with shocks for around 200 dollars and will be a lot less likely to have any kind of problems out of wobble or control issues as you would out of a 1500 dollar 4 inch lift. I have a 2 in BB on mine and all I had to do was a small transfer case drop and have absolutely no vibrations or control problems of any kind. When you go to a larger lift 3+ you have to start looking into adj. control arms, adj. trac bars, SYE and CV conversion and you start getting deep into the pocket. My friend had a 00 TJ with a 4 inch skyjacker lift and that thing was a death trap because they just did Coils and Shocks and double steering stabilizers to make it where you could halfway control it. My long drawn out point>> Unless you wanna invest some money and make sure that it is done right you need to stay with a smaller lift and not have to worry about all the problems of a large lift, and if you are ready to go ahead and do it right the first time, go for it and just make sure you get what you need to have it done right and done safely. But also remember as the wise MR. CLIFFORD once said a BB is just a gateway drug. Get that and you are addicted forever!!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
Death Wobble is not the least bit picky about whether it takes up residence on a TJ with a $200 eBay special or a $2500 Rubicon Express deluxe suspension. Most would consider a Superlift to be a second-tier lift manufacturer and no more or less likely to produce Death Wobble.

Death Wobble is not confined to Jeeps, it is also common on any solid-axle with coil springs like Ford, Dodge, etc. So when the right mix of problems rear their ugly heads, Death Wobble can rear its own ugly head on any Jeep suspension, cheap or expensive.

Keeping Death Wobble at bay is a black art of keeping your tires balanced, trackbar TIGHT, bushings in good shape, proper alignment, etc.

Would I go with a Super Lift suspension? Not likely. And I'd be even less inclined to go with one when sold by a salesman who tries to scare you into its purchase with misleading information. Personally, I'd tell that individual to go pound sand.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. The so called lift expert was talking about the cheaper lift being a 2" off the internet, sorry for not communicating it better. I have not desided how high to go, he was obvioulsy trying to direct me to the more expensive option.
Jeephoe

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
He was probably just trying to get you to buy a product he sells so that he can reap those rewards as well as have you pay him to install. I'd say first decide what you want to accomplish with your suspension upgrade and then look around the forums and find out what people think work well for that situation. Read all you can about products people like and don't like and for what reasons. After all of that you should be able to decide based on what you've learned and on your budget what's best for you also.

·
Registered
258 Posts
What does the kit he sells come with? How much is he charging for labor? does that include a sye conversion and a new driveshaft? You need to talk to him about these things b/c you can put your own lift kit on and save about $900. A decent kit should cost about 500-800. If you decide not to go with the transmissionn drop which most kits come with you will need a sye conversion kit w/ driveshaft is about another $500. plus rear upper adjustable control arms are about $200. If his include all of this stuff I would go for it. If it is just a basic 4 inch entry level lift save your money and shop around.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Well said Mud. A 4" rough country lift costs around 900 with upper and lower adjustable control arms... There are many people here that will help you install it your self.. Get some info on that lift he is trying to sell you. The cheapest 4" lift i've seen is the basic rough country II which is ~500 that only has springs and shocks and i believe a droped pitarm.. but its a kit that will have you riding 4" higher in the end so its not incomplete.

here we go..

4" Series II Suspension Lift Kit
Includes:
Front and rear coil springs, front and rear lower control arms, solid tubular transfer case drop kit, front and rear track bar drop brackets, swaybar links, power steering pitman arm, and 4 RC Hydro 8000 series shocks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i have a cheap 2" budget boost ($100 )
cheap 1" body lift ( $100 )
no so cheap shocks ( $300 )
very cheap trans case drop ( washers)
no shakes or vibes!;)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Another thing to consider too is how are you going to wheel your jeep? Figure out first what you are going to demand from your jeep and take it from there.
X2 on the "expert" selling you the more expensive one, look on the internet and you'll find good deals. Deathwobble can happen on stock rigs too

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I'll look into it somemore and shop it around. I'll holler back with any questions and progress.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts