Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
An I do a 3.25 or a 3.5 lift without getting into a lot of other problems? 2010 sport unlimited

ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
An I do a 3.25 or a 3.5 lift without getting into a lot of other problems? 2010 sport unlimited
That would depend on what is included in the lift. The one issue that comes to mind is the front drive shaft. You'll be right on the edge of being able to run the factory one and needing a Replacement Front Drive Shaft. At that much lift the factory shaft will wear out quickly.

What lifts are you looking at? I can give you an idea of what additions you should make to ensure you don't have any problems.

-Ryan

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at the rough country 3.25 or 3.5. Still looking at them but it's seems ok for price

Supporting Member
Ben,
What size tires you want to run?
Ben, answer this question.

To elaborate, 3.5" of lift can easily run 35 or 37" tires. On the pre 2012 JK, you should consider a new gear ratio when running that size tire. That is another topic altogether. At 2.5", you can run up to 35" tires and don't have to worry about some of the other suspension components like you do when you go bigger. Again you still run into the issue of gear ratio problem.

For 33" tires, you can run no lift or a leveling kit and again, forgo any other suspension/driveline mods and not tax the stock power and tranny as much.

As for the lift in question, I am not a huge Rough Country fan. Their springs develop sagging problems sooner than later, their shocks aren't great and their joints are mediocre at best.

-Dan

Supporting Member
If I use the terraflex three inch would I need any extra modifications?
You may be ok. Your front driveshaft is what you have to worry about. You could go with 3鈥 but just know that you may need a new front driveshaft. Of course, you wouldn鈥檛 need it right away, you would have to keep an eye on it. I am with Kjeeper though at 3鈥 you will want a front adjustable trackbar and probably a rear trackbar tower. Also either front LCA鈥檚 or the control arm drop brackets like AEV, Rancho or Rough Country.

On your 2010, you are either 3.21 or 3.73 gearing and it is bad running 35鈥檚. I ran 3.73 for a long time when I went to 35鈥檚 and thought it was tolerable. Wheeled in snow, lost my crawl and was sliding all over the place. I went up to 5.13 and it was night and difference and I kicked myself for not doing it sooner. Automatics will lose OD and manuals will lose their last gear, which is no good. You lose crawl and your MPG takes a huge hit. 2007-2011 JK鈥檚 with Auto transmissions benefit greatly from 5.13 when they go with 35鈥檚. Manuals can go 4.88

-Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts