Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm very particular (maybe even anal) around things I do. I'm of the opinion that I'd rather do things right the first time and be consistent than half way and have to redo with more time and typically more costs.

Having said this, my "new to me" 2007 JKU sahara has what I think is a Rubicon express lift. I'm guessing the brand due to the fact there are Rubicon Express front shocks and the rear shock have been replaced with Bilstein shocks and the steering stabilizer is Rough country.

So, not that it rides bad or shocks leak or anything like this, but i'm wanting to keep consistency and have matching shocks. I'm guessing the better of the two would Bilstein ? So replace the front with Bilstein, which then leaves the steering stabilizer. I believe Bilstein makes that as well ?

Thoughts ? Opinions ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bilstein shocks a decent. How good depends on the model etc. they have several.
I would make sure they are the correct length and model before matching the rears.
Post a picture and part number or length.

I have the bilstein steering stabilizer and it seems to work well.

PS: How are you going to use the Jeep? That will affect a lot of opinions.
Mall crawler? Rock crawler? Trail buggy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
Before replacing two (or all) your shocks you would want to confirm what lift you have, not just the brand but also the height.
There is a thread around here on how to measure your lift height.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/measuring-lift-height-2350993.html
You want to measure from the base of the front spring to the metal retainer at the top up front. For the rear you measure from the base of the bump stop pad on the axle housing to the metal cup that holds the rubber bump stop cushion. But the pictures tell it better than words can.
Once that is known, some pictures of the parts will help determine what brand, and what other parts you may need.
As to steering stabilizer, simple is better. Unless the one you have is broken I don't think you need to replace it. But if your OCD is kicking in you can replace it with a low pressure one that matches whatever shocks you end up with.
Bilstein shocks do work well, but they seem to be leak prone over time. Other brands include Rancho, Fox, OME, and for more money,TeraFlex. Rancho is the bargain brand, lower quality but better features for the money.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bilstein shocks a decent. How good depends on the model etc. they have several.
I would make sure they are the correct length and model before matching the rears.
Post a picture and part number or length.

I have the bilstein steering stabilizer and it seems to work well.

PS: How are you going to use the Jeep? That will affect a lot of opinions.
Mall crawler? Rock crawler? Trail buggy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info and I'll try to get those numbers.

My JKU replaced my Toyota Tundra 4x4 crewmax cab which was overkill for what I need. It's my weekend, Cruiser, Home Depot stuff fetcher and will occasionally tow a 16' double axle trailer for materials that wont fit in the back. Off-road typically just a couple times a year during hunting season, but i do plan to get in a bit more camping trips and maybe even tow a small popup or teardrop camper (But that's still in the future).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before replacing two (or all) your shocks you would want to confirm what lift you have, not just the brand but also the height.
There is a thread around here on how to measure your lift height.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/measuring-lift-height-2350993.html
You want to measure from the base of the front spring to the metal retainer at the top up front. For the rear you measure from the base of the bump stop pad on the axle housing to the metal cup that holds the rubber bump stop cushion. But the pictures tell it better than words can.
Once that is known, some pictures of the parts will help determine what brand, and what other parts you may need.
As to steering stabilizer, simple is better. Unless the one you have is broken I don't think you need to replace it. But if your OCD is kicking in you can replace it with a low pressure one that matches whatever shocks you end up with.
Bilstein shocks do work well, but they seem to be leak prone over time. Other brands include Rancho, Fox, OME, and for more money,TeraFlex. Rancho is the bargain brand, lower quality but better features for the money.
Thanks for the info, I will take measurements to figure out what I have. I have Bilstein on my Corvette which work and ride great, but have not used any on 4wds. Fox has been around a long time and they're costs to go up.

·
Super Moderator
15,454 Posts
Thanks for the info, I will take measurements to figure out what I have. I have Bilstein on my Corvette which work and ride great, but have not used any on 4wds. Fox has been around a long time and they're costs to go up.
Depending on which Rubicon Express shocks you have, the RE Monotubes are nothing more than rebranded Bilsteins. So you wouldn't gain a thing by replacing them.

Personally, I have found the RE lift kits to be pretty firm riding and probably wouldn't leave one on my Jeep. That and I don't like Bilsteins at all on a Jeep.. But that just me, some people love them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update to this thread. After measuring (Thanks GuzziMoto)I have a 3" lift over stock height.

On the front shocks, it turns out I already have the Bilsteins. The Rubicon Express decals were put over the Bilstein decals. So front and rear are matching. But definitly the steering stabilizer is not. It's a Pro Comp which is an easy fix.

Thanks for all the suggestions !

·
Super Moderator
15,454 Posts
Update to this thread. After measuring (Thanks GuzziMoto)I have a 3" lift over stock height.

On the front shocks, it turns out I already have the Bilsteins. The Rubicon Express decals were put over the Bilstein decals. So front and rear are matching. But definitly the steering stabilizer is not. It's a Pro Comp which is an easy fix.

Thanks for all the suggestions !
You should note that the Bilstein steering stabilizer is gas charged and is known to cause a left pull in your steering because it is constantly pushing on your tie rod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts