Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you remove the leaf spring brackets on the frame, drill a hole, add a steel tube through the frame and add bushings/shackles?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of adding an arm system too, but maybe I'll eventually do coil over instead

·
Registered
878 Posts
Ive seen people counter sink the bracket into the frame to get rid of that hang up point. Why do you want to do this? Just curious...

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like a little more flex

·
Registered
878 Posts
I got rid of my sway and track bars and gained 3-4 inches of flex. I drive like a grandpa though and it isnt my dd.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already ditched the track bars the first lift I put on, and I have sway bar disconnects. I guess I'm kind of stuck with leafs though

·
Registered
878 Posts
Yeah SOA is the next step for me. Mine has some flex but not a ton.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, that's about the same mine has with a 4" lift and 31" tires

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Yeah SOA is the next step for me. Mine has some flex but not a ton.
SOA will cost a bit to do it right, in total i spent around $2400. I tried using stock springs the flex and ride were great but after bending three springs (one used, two new) I spend the 650$ and went wit RE 1.5" SOA springs while they preformed awesome I wish I would have gone with a 4in SUA with 1in Body or bought a 5.5in TJ lift. My jeep is just too tall.

To OregonPlinker and c5wagner have you guys looked in to flat style fenders (Metalcloak, Genright, AtoZfab...ect) or TJ Flares? Opening up the wheel will give you alot more room to flex before rubbing.

Heres my YJ before Metalcloak this is 36's with SOA+1in shackle lift

Same lift and tires but with metalcloak fenders

Here it is with 1.5" SOA and 37's still with Metalcloak

Same lift but with Genright fenders and different brand of 37's

As you can see it opens up your wheel well alot with different styles of fenders. Theres alot of options out there. Check it out you might find it to be more cost effective then an SOA lift.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
That looks like a sweet set up Rykemc thats how I wish I would have built mine. But my buddy who i bought the jeep from told me to do SOA and I did. Same buddy that told me to set my caster 14 degrees back, and to make my own perches out of square tube. All of which I wish i never did.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Thanks Banks. I like the setup as well and works great for what I want it to do. Drives nice on the highway, beast on the trails and my lab can still jump in and out of it. That's what I was going for was a low enough jeep so he can ride with me and still get in and out of it. During the good months I drive it back and forth to work and he goes to work with me pretty much every day. I really appreciate the nice response.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I might look into those Genright fenders, I am currently running a skyjacker 4" double military wrap kit with 5" eye to eye homemade boomerang shackles(1/2" of lift), I have my shackles at 25 lbs, the mid shackle bolts at 50 lbs, the body spring mounts at 40 lbs, and the u-bolts at 65 lbs. It flexes well, but they stop at the wheel wells. I also have 31" tires to get more flex out of it because anything bigger really rubs....

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
banks316 what do you mean about the TJ 5.5" kit?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
$2400 is pretty high for SOA. Maybe if you are paying someone else to do it it would come out to that much.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
$2400 is pretty high for SOA. Maybe if you are paying someone else to do it it would come out to that much.
All the work was done by me

Springs with bushings $750
U Bolts $100
Perches $100
Shocks $430
SS SYE $300
D Line $350
Tera Flex Knuckle $400
Custom Tie rod $110
1.5" .250 wall Chromolly
Custom Drag Link $75
1.5" .250 wall Chromolly
Rod ends with inserts $200
Brake lines $95
----------------
Total $2510

I could have went cheaper on the steering and saved money but I wanted it strong

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
All the work was done by me

Springs with bushings $750
U Bolts $100
Perches $100
Shocks $430
SS SYE $300
D Line $350
Tera Flex Knuckle $400
Custom Tie rod $110
1.5" .250 wall Chromolly
Custom Drag Link $75
1.5" .250 wall Chromolly
Rod ends with inserts $200
Brake lines $95
----------------
Total $2510

I could have went cheaper on the steering and saved money but I wanted it strong
Yeah that is kinda pricey since you dont have a true high steer or Traction Bar.

Here is mine.

Rubicon full length add a leafs: $320
Rocky Road High Steer: $500
SYE and Driveshaft: $500
Perches, UBolts, and plates $150
Brake Lines $100
Shocks $150
Traction Bar: $50 in metal (welded my own)

Total: $1770

I should probably include the fact I had a spring shop do my springs though. Cost me $200 and they did a better job then I would have. I just brought them the springs themselves and they added the full length leafs and re-arched everything to give me about 1.5"-2" of lift with a stronger spring. They still flex like crazy though.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
No issues without a high steer or traction bar. Also I didnt like the bolt on aspect of the RR high steer. This is with my old steering bars, havnt got a new pic with my new bars. BTW 2 trips to Moab and one to the Rubicon plus I wheel 3-4 times a month in Tillamook, and Elbe Hills

1 - 20 of 24 Posts