Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing my stock 17" wheels and found a couple of issues that I need to ask about.

ForumRunner_20140413_211333.jpg

ForumRunner_20140413_211342.jpg

I apologize if the pics are sideways. This is the front driver's side shock. It looks pretty messed in the bottom where as the passenger side is totally clean. Does it need to be replaced?

Second. The front springs are mismatched. Drivers is 17 and the passengers is 18. Did the PO do this to correct for the JK lean?

And before any one speaks up I did notice the brake line that is rubbed all to hell. I know the answer to that one. Replace at the earliest possible time.

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
22,058 Posts
I was replacing my stock 17" wheels and found a couple of issues that I need to ask about.

View attachment 983562

View attachment 983578

I apologize if the pics are sideways. This is the front driver's side shock. It looks pretty messed in the bottom where as the passenger side is totally clean. Does it need to be replaced?

Second. The front springs are mismatched. Drivers is 17 and the passengers is 18. Did the PO do this to correct for the JK lean?

And before any one speaks up I did notice the brake line that is rubbed all to hell. I know the answer to that one. Replace at the earliest possible time.

Thanks for your thoughts.
it is common for the springs to be different so probably came that way. sport shocks suck even when new so replace them

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wasn't worried about the springs as much as I was curious why. After seeing both rear shocks with quite a bit of rust I will likely need to change. Brakes first!

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
It's the normal randomness of Wrangler coil springs. Some hypothesize that there is a higher number coil on the passenger side to compensate for the fuel tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts