Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I have a couple of questions, I am currently in class so figured this is a good time to ask hah :thumb: I got a FREE 23 point inspection from my Jeep dealership for fun and they said i need a lateral stabilizer rod, replace my idler arm,clean my rear brakes and rear differential fluid. I am assuming the stabilizer rod is my sway bar? Which i knew I needed but i have no idea what my idler arm is.

Second, Unlimited04 told me I need bumpstop cups, 2 inch bumpstops and the jounce bumper. Which I know i need, but idk why the dealership didnt say anything about that. He said I can use ZJ bumpstops, but I went to my local junkyard looking for them but they didnt have any. Do i have any other options?

LAST question, for my new suspension (3 inch Currie springs and a BL/MML) can i use my stock track bars? IF so, is all i need a rear relocation bracket? I would rather save some cash on these track bars so i can go with Fox shox from Savvy.

Sorry for all the questions guys, i just want to make sure I have everything I need to get the best ride I can. Thanks !!:dance:

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
The idler arm is for the serpentine belt. It provides constant tension, rather than manually adjusting it. I don't know why your rear brakes you need to be "cleaned". replaced, maybe, but not cleaned.

The dealership doesn't know squat about lifts. you could always buy new bump stops if you can't find used ones.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Peepers answered most of your questions. The lateral stabilizer "rod" will probably be the sway bar. I have never known one needing to be replaced. Did they even say why? Your allowed to ask them what part they are talking about and why they think it needs to be replaced. Also I would never let them do it. I would take it in for them to look it over to see what should be replaced then take it home and do it myself.

Agreed the dealership won't know what to do with a lift. Just get some online.

You can reuse your rear track bar as there are relocation brackets for it. I would not use almost any relocation brackets on the front or drill a new hole for it on the axle. Just asking for troubles. There are fixed size track bars you can get, but going with an adjustable on you can't go wrong. JKS or Ironman4x4fab

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Peepers answered most of your questions. The lateral stabilizer "rod" will probably be the sway bar. I have never known one needing to be replaced. Did they even say why? Your allowed to ask them what part they are talking about and why they think it needs to be replaced. Also I would never let them do it. I would take it in for them to look it over to see what should be replaced then take it home and do it myself.

Agreed the dealership won't know what to do with a lift. Just get some online.

You can reuse your rear track bar as there are relocation brackets for it. I would not use almost any relocation brackets on the front or drill a new hole for it on the axle. Just asking for troubles. There are fixed size track bars you can get, but going with an adjustable on you can't go wrong. JKS or Ironman4x4fab
Well they said it because I dont have one...Im about to pick one up! I wont be letting the dealership do any of the work, trust me. So, i would be good with a front adjustable and relocation bracket for the rear? Bummer i was hoping to use my stock front.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If your handy with a welder you could lengthen your stock one.

·
Registered
227 Posts
They probably did not notice the missing bumpstops... not something that you usually look for on a XX point check. I think any XJ, TJ, ZJ, LJ would work.... there are subtle differences, but nothing major.

Lateral stabilizer rod?? is that just so they can justify a exorbitant price on the part?? Sounds like a trackbar to me.... weren't you missing your front sway bar or links?? Maybe they mean steering stablizer?

I guess the serp belt tensioner is my best guess for idler arm.... usually the idler arm is the steering link opposite the pitman arm in a parallelogram steering type arrangement (ie. steering gearbox instead of rack and pinion, chevy used it on IFS trucks IIRC), not used on a jeep solid axle vehicle.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i guess they did just miss it, no biggie. In that thread it says the JKS hits, but idk if that has been updated because i heard it doesnt anymore. It also says some people are just relocating the stock one works. But i see it depends on the lift height, some say with a 3 inch you dont need to relocate it at all. hmmm

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have a JKS with 2.5-3" lift and it doesn't hit. Before, I had the stock one and my axle was more than 1" to one side. I don't remember exactly because that was 2 years ago.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a JKS with 2.5-3" lift and it doesn't hit. Before, I had the stock one and my axle was more than 1" to one side. I don't remember exactly because that was 2 years ago.
Yeah i have a deal on a JKS for 175 compared to over 250 for 300 for the Currie. i will have 3 inch of SL plus a 1 inch BL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts