Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - So I have a set ready to roll with Timken install kits etc but am a little worried about the quality based only on the fact that Dana themselves arent overly forthcoming with detail (a few theories on this are they dont want to cannibalize their other lines) and theres not a lot out there (see google) on this range. I know they are likely from India under the quality control of Dana but thats about all I can find.

Believe me, I've trawled far and wide. Some compare the to Yukon, some rubbish them based on the fact they supposedly are made in India, some gassers forums say they're fine. Its a hard pick.

Looking to hear from anyone who has installed them and or used them in their rig. How many KM's - how hard do you run them - etc etc etc.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
It doesnt matter if they arent made in the US. There are only like 2 companies still making their "premium" gears in the US.

I run USA Standard, pretty sure they are Korean.

·
Registered
488 Posts
It's a little late to be worried about quality of an economy line gear. It would be helpful for you to tell everyone the planned use of your vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't have anything bad to say about Dana/Spicer drive line components or anything they back, however i'm not familiar with SVL.

Gear sets are hit or miss and you can drive yourself crazy reading everyone's opinion. Some will make noise and some will not. I replaced my D44 and D30 with used factory gears and have zero noise and setup was cake.

I've installed Motive in a Ford 8.8 and they make noise. Pattern is perfect and everything is within tolerance. They just want to make noise.

All you can do is pick one in your price range and go.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the price was a consideration but Im based in New Zealand and exchange rate and shipping was also part of the decision.

I just cant find anyone who has used this set and DANA themselves have gone quiet on a FB chat thread I started with them.

My rig - if Im honest - does maybe 7-10 offroad trips in sand and mud per year and spends the rest of its life hauling kids to football etc etc. It will never see a rock surface in its life. I run 285/70/17 tyres and plan on running 315/70's soon hence Im OK with the wait to confirm if these are going to be suitable.

The only bug in my mind is that I called up Dana and asked them direct and the receptionist said "oh no they are really for commercial vehicles out of warranty" she didnt elaborate on this but it didnt fill me with confidence. Then youve got a few of the Chev forums saying they use SVL in rear end swap outs on drag cars.... Its all over the place on answers. Anyway - Ill just bide my time and eventually make a call.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts