Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings and all. I'm starting this a bit late, but better than never. I live on the Pacific Coast, near Santa Cruz, California. I'm often taking trips through the desert and am a big fan of the Desert Southwest. It's a great place to get away from it all and the sandstone brings out fantastic colors at sunrise and sunset.

The primary interest in getting my Jeep is for extended vacations/expeditions in the desert, to that end I plan my modifications.

First up, Camp Runamuck, 2015 JK Unlimited Rubicon in Tank color with Saddle interior. Ordered Novermber 7, 2014

A werewolf awaits a key

and delivered December 20, 2014.

Photo op on the way home, even found a small mud puddle to christen it in.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After a few weeks I decided to remove the stickers. Like it much more without them.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After a few weeks the MOPAR 2 inch lift kit (77070088) arrived at the dealer and I picked it up and stored it in the living room. It would be a couple months before I could get it installed, but the first road trip was coming up and there wasn't time.

When I went in to pick up my Jeep I had arranged so I would order the lift and included it in on my purchase price - the dealer had a 10% off coupon on their website for "accessories" which saved me some $

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It didn't take long to start tripping over the door sills and scuffing them. I knew in short order I'd start to see bare metal and then probably rust. So I ordered some MOPAR door sill scuff guards, which set me back about $50 and were only a few minutes to install. They're worth it so far.

Before

After

Also, began the work, with 90% rubbing alcohol, some Q-tips and paper towels, the removal of this damn sticker on the driver side visor - it didn't half cause glare! So much better without it.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After a couple trips to Southern California it was time to get the lift installed. It really has a much less mushy ride and very good handling after. I'd spent months agonizing over which lift to go with and in the end MOPAR introduced this 2 inch lift which was right about where I wanted to be. Not too high and not too low.

Had the work done by the dealer I bought my Jeep at to keep everything in warranty.

Before pictures:

After pictures:

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On June 21st, after feeling under the weather for a couple of weeks, I felt better and got an early start on putting a Drake fire extinguisher mount and an ABC fire extinguisher (from the local hardware store) mounted. I placed a couple pieces of vinyl tape on the Drake mount so it would stick and the quick release surfaces would not rattle.

After that I got out the drill, hammer, and stuff to install a Molle panel on the rear tailgate to keep some things organized.

I wasn't in love with drilling holes in my baby, but with a lot of extra measuring (measure several times and drill once) I got the Molle in place. I also placed strips of vinyl tape between mating surfaces of the Molle Panel and the tail gate. Something to compress a small amound and avoid rattles later. Used some handy tie downs and attached my shovel and a recovery strap, so now they're not on the floor and in the way.

Good for now. More Molle panels to go in at a later date.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After some long trips with strong winds I'd had enough of the hood flutter, which probably never would spring up, but was unnerving to see, I got some Rugged Ridge aluminum hood catches. These were definitely fiddly to put in, requiring good finger dexterity and patience, because of the confined space of the lower mounts on each catch.

After a trip up north and back I declare them a success!

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice! I'd like to see a shot of the saddle interior wit the Tank.
I chose the Saddle interior as it was the only way I could get away from Black. It really does look excellent and I was very happy with the way it turned out. It helps keep it a bit cooler - I've had black interior before and that turns any vehicle into an oven.

Pretty sunny out, but I took a few pictures. Hope this gives some idea what Saddle looks like. It's almost 7 months old and has some trail dust and pinstriping, but you should get the idea.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Very timely and helpful info and pics, thanks.

How would you describe the firmess of the Mopar kit springs versus the stock OEM Rubicon springs? Have you been off road with a full load yet?

I have a new JKUR on order and am seriously considering this lift kit.

But I often travel with a full load over rough terrain and probably need springs on the medium to firm end of the spectrum.

Also, did you go with the kit's cam bolts or use AEV/Terraflex brackets?

Thanks
R

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Really like that saddle interior! Especially with the tank color.

Do you think you'll add any graphics back in, or just keep it clean?

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very timely and helpful info and pics, thanks.

How would you describe the firmess of the Mopar kit springs versus the stock OEM Rubicon springs? Have you been off road with a full load yet?

I have a new JKUR on order and am seriously considering this lift kit.

But I often travel with a full load over rough terrain and probably need springs on the medium to firm end of the spectrum.

Also, did you go with the kit's cam bolts or use AEV/Terraflex brackets?

Thanks
R

I added the AEV Geometry correction kit. I'm happy with the ride far more than factory. My first off roading had a bit of a mushy feel to it, while the kit gives a very positive feel and less nose diving on hard braking.

I've mostly done fully loaded travel. 100lb packed ice chest, few gallon jugs of water, tent, other camping gear, fool, kitchen stuff, recovery stuff, etc. Does very well on some very steep, loose sloppy stuff.

My Jeep is primarily vacation/expedition duty - so it goes out loaded up and covers unimproved roads, but is not intended as a rock crawler. So far the stock wheels have dimmed my enthusiasm to go to larger wheels as they have been capable of everything, including some moderately technical climbs and descents.

I rode in a Nissan pickup, years ago and that was what I consider stiff - small potholes in the road I could feel jangle my kidneys. The firmness of ride in my Jeep is significantly smoother, small stuff is hardly noticable. I guess I'd call it medium-firm, with some forgiveness on small terrain features. On rougher ground disconnect the Sway Bar and you're cruising.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really like that saddle interior! Especially with the tank color.

Do you think you'll add any graphics back in, or just keep it clean?
I'll probably put some window stickers from ORV parks on, but the clean look has really grown on me. Particularly interested in removing the stickers before they became faded and peel by sun damage - easy to do now, would be much more difficult later.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I added the AEV Geometry correction kit. I'm happy with the ride far more than factory. My first off roading had a bit of a mushy feel to it, while the kit gives a very positive feel and less nose diving on hard braking.

I've mostly done fully loaded travel. 100lb packed ice chest, few gallon jugs of water, tent, other camping gear, fool, kitchen stuff, recovery stuff, etc. Does very well on some very steep, loose sloppy stuff.

My Jeep is primarily vacation/expedition duty - so it goes out loaded up and covers unimproved roads, but is not intended as a rock crawler. So far the stock wheels have dimmed my enthusiasm to go to larger wheels as they have been capable of everything, including some moderately technical climbs and descents.

I rode in a Nissan pickup, years ago and that was what I consider stiff - small potholes in the road I could feel jangle my kidneys. The firmness of ride in my Jeep is significantly smoother, small stuff is hardly noticable. I guess I'd call it medium-firm, with some forgiveness on small terrain features. On rougher ground disconnect the Sway Bar and you're cruising.
Thanks, I will order a set of the AEV brackets too.
R

·
Registered
68 Posts
Im desperately scouring this forum and the internet trying to find good pics of Tank with SADDLE interior. It's pretty rare to see saddle in general and this thread looks like it was once good. Maybe I'll request in a dedicated pic thread.
Everyone on this site has been really helpful and nice in providing each other with information without many flames.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These pics is what I've been looking for for months.
My primary reason for Saddle was something lighter than the standard Black, because I'm in a very sunny area and travel to sunny places, the interior of dark painted vehicles with dark interior coloring tends to make them ovens. Very happy with my color choice. I think it goes very well with the Tank paint color.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Also, began the work, with 90% rubbing alcohol, some Q-tips and paper towels, the removal of this damn sticker on the driver side visor - it didn't half cause glare! So much better without it.
Hey SV, great write up!! As ugly visor stickers go, I've successfully removed them off of each and every car I've owned. I'm itching to do the same on my JKU, but this one looks really baked on. Were you able to remove it without any ghost - kinda whitish, discolored - trace of it?

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey SV, great write up!! As ugly visor stickers go, I've successfully removed them off of each and every car I've owned. I'm itching to do the same on my JKU, but this one looks really baked on. Were you able to remove it without any ghost - kinda whitish, discolored - trace of it?
No ghost, totally clean. The key is cleaning up the residue with 90% rubbing alcohol and paper towels or disposable rag.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts