Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
GraBars arrived today! After running around to hang out with some friends and new acquaintances from Texas, it was time to get 'em on.

13mm socket set and my old metric Crank Brothers Allen set from my bike kit.

First try I dropped the 13mm socket down inside the hole - that's a big hole around the pillar bolt. A small container with a magnet in it at the end of a wire fished it back out, but not before I had to remove the passenger side (side I started on) mirror.

Work was pretty quick and easy, but I did start cross threading the pillar bolt, so backed it out, checked the angle and started again - if it doesn't go in easy, you might be crossthreading. The head of the bolt should dip about 5 degrees below horizontal.

Going at it again I found the instructions made for tough going and reversed their advice - put the side bolt in first, then the top bolt. Worked easier on both sides.

Driver side visor has no problem with clearing the GraBar, but passenger side rubs a little. A few hard pulls from outside the door reduces it a bit.

·
Registered
846 Posts
GraBars arrived today!

I've seen GraBars before but I've never seen them with their name plastered all along the handle. :banned:

Uh no thanks. Not ever going to blaze a logo like that on my Jeep (and I left my stickers on the hood :D ).

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I've seen GraBars before but I've never seen them with their name plastered all along the handle. :banned:

Uh no thanks. Not ever going to blaze a logo like that on my Jeep (and I left my stickers on the hood :D ).
Could always wrap them up with athletic bandage or put socks over them. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
No ghost, totally clean. The key is cleaning up the residue with 90% rubbing alcohol and paper towels or disposable rag.
Thanks, SV! It'll be my next project ;-)

BTW, GraBars are one of the great additions I'd done, both functionally (having a 2.5" lift, it really helps getting in and out) and aesthetically. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update: Driver side GraBar has a rattle. Driving this morning I found the sleeve over the vertical bolt has about 1/4 inch of play. This can't be remedied by torquing it down (up) more. I'll have to remove it and insert a Neoprene or Nylon grommet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Update: Driver side GraBar has a rattle. Driving this morning I found the sleeve over the vertical bolt has about 1/4 inch of play. This can't be remedied by torquing it down (up) more. I'll have to remove it and insert a Neoprene or Nylon grommet.
Hey SV, instead of a grommet I'd look into the issue and try to seat it right. After all, it's supposed to support body's pull climbing in. I'd call the manufacturer, he's very helpful and accommodating.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hey SV, instead of a grommet I'd look into the issue and try to seat it right. After all, it's supposed to support body's pull climbing in. I'd call the manufacturer, he's very helpful and accommodating.
The real problem with these is the side bolt, depends at what angle it was threaded at the factory. Must have been an off day for the robot on the driver side.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
A box!

What can it be?!?

Screens on the inside, nice.

Too cool for school.:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Getting the motors lubed today. VW first, its oil was pretty dark, but not surprising at its advanced age of 227K miles.

The Jeep, however only has 12K and the oil was nearly as dark. Hmm. Decided to go full synthetic as it has done very well for the dub.

After several miles I noticed the engine runs quieter and smoother. Hmm.

See how this goes.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
These things were very much noticed on my last 4-wheel outing over the weekend. Everyone wanted to know about them, how easy to install, remove, how they were made, etc. They are aluminum and easy to install and remove, but stay in place very well and will not fall out if I roll the window down.

I bought them from Nakatanenga Tours Site is entirely German, but can be translated a bit by google. The page for these is here.

I contacted them via email and an English speaking person quoted me and provided a link to pay by paypal. Shipping was a bit stiff, but they arrived in California within a couple days. That was awesome.

I'd recommend finding a few people to go in on some sets to save on some shipping. They really are great for venting without having to leave the windows down.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Camp Runamuck at Hollister Hills SVRA's 40th Anniversary bash. Taking a couple turns through the quarry before heading off to finish the poker run.

·
Registered
154 Posts
SV, are you still running stock tires? I also have this lift and love it.
FYI - If tank was out in 14 when I bought my ultra rare black JKUR I would have your twin. Love it with Tan Interior and a stick!

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
SV, are you still running stock tires? I also have this lift and love it.
FYI - If tank was out in 14 when I bought my ultra rare black JKUR I would have your twin. Love it with Tan Interior and a stick!

Those are the stock tires. As I paid for them I'm going to run them right down before doing anything on replacement front.

I'm not sold on going to 35s, though I may go to 34 and stick with the 10.6 inch width (Pizza Cutters) Function over fashion is my formula.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
My new tire carrier arrives today!

OR-FAB 85209 w/2 3 Gallon RotoPax

teh awesomes!

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
How did the carrier install go?
After weekends battling a cold and rain, finally had a clear one and got it done. Quite a lot of work - as with all projects preparation is 90% the recipe for success.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Mind sharing that email address of the guy you talked to for the vents. I am looking but can not find it.
I talked with: "Melanie Welter" <[email protected]>
She was kind enough to email me a PayPal invoice for these.

I suggest seeing if anyone else in your OHV club/circle of friends wants a set, the postage is a little steep, but I was more than happy to pay about $100 to have these. They are the bomb. Several friends are getting or have them.

Link to page

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Added an antenna bracket and Larsen 2/70 antenna to the 3rd brake light bracket on my OR-FAB tire carrier. Have to wait until the weekend to see how well the SWR is on 2m and 70 cm with the HT (which will probably hang from the dash in an old gym sock.)

Oh, yeah, just a little more drilling. Got to have a good ground on these things.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts