Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Had the little ARB tank powder coated. Waiting for Springtail Solutions Molle Panel for mounting behind rear passenger side.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Stuff:
ARB CKMTA12 '12V' On-Board Twin High Performance Air Compressor
ARB 171601 Compressed Air Tank
Springtail Solutions JK Unlimited Passenger Side Rack
Various Parker fittings, SMC regulator, nylon air hose

I gave some thought to how I wanted to install the ARB dual air compressor in my JKUR and quickly arrived at the conclusion you need a reservoir if you want to get the most out of it. I tried the compressor without a reservoir and the air hose makes a pretty poor one. So, how to mount it? Before doing this I had the tank powdercoated.

(ARB air tank, powdercoated)

Not crazy about putting it under the hood, there's enough there already and trail dust is a concern. So I picked up the TeraFlex 1184120 Mount Kit, which I will get to later. The matter of the tank mounting is solved by the Springtail Solutions Rack. The rack was easily and quickly assembled, after watching the installation video for the Pro tips on assembling it loosely, then tightening everything down after a first test fit.

(Springtail Side Rack assembled)

(tightening the majority of the rack prior to adding the cubby floor)

I checked out how I'd mount the tank in the cubby and found the fittings would be an issue, so some spacers were in order to elevate the tank about 1.5 inches. Some rubber washers and wood blocks (center drilled) provide the spacing. Drilled holes in the floor of the cubby and it mounted securely.

(final fitting)

(tank bolts tightened)

Just a few more minutes and I had the whole assembly mounted securely and the seat back. It's snug, tidy and with the universal coupling I can use air tools as well as just airing up.

(finished)

The Springtail Solutions Side Rack is really well made, with a very nice powercoat finish, shipped with an optional bracket (I didn't use) over the top. All hardware is stainless, which is always a plus.

Next project is getting the line run under the carpet and the compressor under the seat, which should be a pretty easy task.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Nice work, nice set-up:thumb:

-Steven

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
This weekend I installed the ARB compressor under the front seat, which is a very fast job. No more than an hour necessary.

Nylon air hose was routed below the carpet, which is mega simples, since the carpet pulls out so easy for cleaning (Hey, it's a Jeep!) All the connectors worked out well, though my cheesy cigarette lighter adapter fell apart and had to be resoldered, much better this time.

The one blight on the whole project was the ARB air hose fitting did not fit the Parker universal quick connect (UC-251-4MP), which was instantly vexing. I still have to use battery clamps and the cigarette adapter to run things, but run she does and that little regulator is the absolute bomb - very nice to be able to set ~40 psi so if I'm airing up and get to jawing about Jeep stuff I don't blow a bead.

Quick trip to the hardware store for some cheap Chinese sh!t and a hose clamp and I'm up and running, ready to air up and down on the trail - and some of those washboarded trails are going to need this.

Long-term - get the wiring finalized, get a proper hose end and connector.

Sorry, no new pics as I was in quite a bit hurry to get this done before the dark set in (Time changes - Grrrr.)

41 - 45 of 45 Posts