Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So once my corvette sells I'll have some extra money to swap tires on my JKUR. The question is do I go with Super Swamper Irok's, Duratracs or Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's? I'll be going with the 285/70-17

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
What kind of terrain will you be driving on? If you do mostly highway driving, I would not bother with MT tires. Lots of people here get Goodyear Duratracs. Also take a look at the Cooper ST MAXX. Both of these tires are a hybrid MT / AT design. They are great off road but quiet on the road.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The jeep is a second car. My daily driver is a 300. It's going to see highway to and from the trail so I'm not afraid of having an MT. The terrain out here is Rocky, some snow, sand and occasional mud.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I've owned IROCs and Goodyear MT/Rs, and the IROCs work better off road. I haven't owned the Duratracs, but I'd bet a dollar they're not as good off road as either of the other two.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The three tires you chose couldn't be more different though. MT/Rs mostly excel at rock crawling and are good all around off-road tire4s, the DuraTracs are fantastic tires, ask anyone that owns or previously owned DuraTracs and they will rave about them, they are fantastic. Only down fall to DuraTracs is the side wall is VERY thin compared to designated off-road tires. If you go DuraTrac, my suggestion would be to get them from Discount Tire and make sure you pick up the warranty certs, as you will replace one. Really, with any tire I'd get Discount tire and grab some of the certs for them.
I have always seen the IROCSs do better in thick mud, clay, etc. If you plan to do a decent amount of street driving, the IROCs will eventually drive you crazy, unless you love the roar of tires (I know many people that enjoy it).
The DuraTracs will be the best tire out of the three when it comes to handling snow/ice. They are also predrilled for studding if you ever have to do that. I currently have DuraTracs and previously had MT/R Kevs and my personal preference are the DuraTracs. I have heard the Mt/rs are marginal in snow/ice conditions, but I live in the south, when it snows we just close everything down for a couple of days until it goes away, so I haven't personally tested them.
You won't be disappointed with either of the GoodYears IMO. But I have never been a huge fan of the IROC, too much going on there for me.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I would stay away from Goodyear mtr kevlars. They don't balance out very well. Very few run them here in Colorado where many used to. Discount tire dislikes them and they know them intimately (people come back every1000-2000 miles to rebalance)!

I currently run Duratracs and love them.

Past tires:

Interco SS (super swamper) TSL BIAS 33s
SS TSL RADIAL 33s
SS IROK BIAS 37s
SS TSL SX BIAS 38s

LOVED the super swampers, but my jeep is a daily driver and I put on 30K a year so I a run a more mellow tire.

Since it's your second vehicle I'd run an Interco Super Swamper of some sort or something of the sort. They look awesome IMHO. Those things just take a beating and you can run internal beadlocks (staun) or a regular beadlock and air down to damn near nothing if needed. I'd run ~ 6psi when I wheeled in Colorado or Arizona or Cali terrain. But you will have to like the tread noise as mentioned because it'll be there! I'm obviously biased (no pun intended). Lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've ran the Goodyear kevlars and Cooper STT. Both awesome tires but the coopers are so much quieter and still a MTR. Theyre cheaper too. I had a 34" Kevlar and a 37" Cooper and the ride is sooooo much better now. My opinion......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts