Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after much thought im wonderine local that would like to swap trannys with me. I love my auto dont get me wrong but lately ive been getting kind of bored and the fact that every water hazard scares the S**t out of me is getting old.

Ive swamped this tranny once about 30,000 miles ago and was completely rebuilt.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Why are you worried about water hazards with an auto?

·
Registered
588 Posts
How far are you willing to travel. I live in Baltimore and have a 2000 wrangler with the nv3550 5 speed with a new clutch and flywheel. I have wanted to go auto for a while now but can't find a suitable doner.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because the breather on the 32rh is behind the tourq converter and even with the breather mod (dropping the tranny and plugging the old vent and drilling a new one) i still wouldnt trust it. Even a little water is enough to grenade the auto...ask me how i know.

I wheel in mainly Wharton state forest and large puddles with unknown holes is always a feature of those trails.

Baltimore is a little far unless you can make it worth my while lol im really looking for someone willing to do the work while i help. Prefferably do the swap over a weekend.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I was an auto tech for 13 yrs. I have a 2 car driveway, air tools, jacks, jack stands, etc. you get the picture. We could easily do it in a long weekend If your mechanically inclined and can pull your weight. Let me know how serious you are.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
Have replacement ECMs (engine computers) ready to install the day you guys do your swaps since neither computer will be happy with the other transmission. You can't swap your computers, there are too many computer programming differences between your model years.

Also, the tranny cooler lines may not fit onto the Jeep the auto tranny is going into. I swapped a 32RH out of a 2000 TJ into my '97 TJ and the tranny cooler lines didn't even come close to fitting/being bent correctly to fit around everything. I had to order new lines from the dealer.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Have replacement ECMs (engine computers) ready to install the day you guys do your swaps since neither computer will be happy with the other transmission. You can't swap your computers, there are too many computer programming differences between your model years.

Also, the tranny cooler lines may not fit onto the Jeep the auto tranny is going into. I swapped a 32RH out of a 2000 TJ into my '97 TJ and the tranny cooler lines didn't even come close to fitting/being bent correctly to fit around everything. I had to order new lines from the dealer.
Jerry, we have the same year, 2000. That is what interests me. I would have done it a while ago if I could find a suitable donor. Can't beat same year for compatability.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts