Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Suzuki Samurai and am looking into completely redoing it. The reason came here is that i want to put dana 44's onto it from a TJ wrangler rubicon. I knew I wanted dana 44's and was cruising around on Wikipedia looking for good donor candidates and it said they came with factory air lockers. And since they are jeep axles, I decided to come to a jeep forum!!!

I have a few main questions:
1) How well do the lockers work and how easy would it be to hook them up to an air system that I put into my Samurai?
2) Are there any electronics on the axles that I would have to worry about?
3) What is the limit on tires that these axles can handle before you need to up grade? I would like to run 35's

Thanks for all of the help and allowing a 'foreigner' into your forum

·
Registered
956 Posts
cheaper axles would be toyota axles from the early 80's
The break at 7800lbs and are narrower than Jeep axles

ive seen sammies on dana 30/35 jeep axles with 4.3 chevys and 35's hold up fine

Rubicon axles have air lockers that only require 5lbs of air so make sure you get a rubicon pump.

as far as I know theres nothing electronic in a rubi axle.

Yota axles sell for less than a $1000 in great shape and some came with low gears sets already.

My brother has an 83 yota,solid axle on yotas stopped in 85
Yota axles are already leaf sprung
heres my favorite sam vid,Its running yota axles and 22re engine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFIxIy7_doY

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ive owned samis and wheel with a couple guys with them and from expirience yota axles are the way to go!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about putting in Toyota axles but what switched me was the fact that the Dana 44's from the tj are just all around stronger, they have already have lockers, and they have the gearing in them that I want

·
Registered
956 Posts
tj dana44's and rubi dana44's are diffrent strenths

the TJ dana44 is a 30 spline axle
The toyota (pre1986) are alos 30 spline

TJ axles are set up for coil spring and have a 5x4.5 lug pattren
Toyota mini truck axles are already leaf set up and retain the sammi's lug pattren

Yotas came with 4:11 and 3:90 ratios and are problly closer to the sammis current axle with

TJ axles are close to 60" wide from rotor face to rotor face.

another option if you must have dana44s is the full size chevy/ford dana 44's,they can be narrowed eaisly(4wheel offroad mag just done a write up) and are cheap $300-$500 a set

TJ dana 44's are pricey and rubicon 44's(I think are 33 spline) cost a fortune used(about $3000-$4500).

G2 makes affordable axles built anyway you want them for about $4000 for a TJ
People use the dana 30 and 35s in Sammis and with the superior super 30 and 35 kits the dana 30 and 35 have full arb air lockers and are STRONGER than stock TJ dana44's and can be fully built for $3200 for the superior super kits(counting new gears and bearing and seals),dana 30/35's can be had for $500
Jeep ownwers almost give these axles away.A Jeep weighs 4500 lbs so stock dana 30/35 axles are borderline not strong enough for a wrangler,However under a Sammi that weighs alot less the axles are alot stronger for the sammi.

Dana 30/35s are made from the same axle tubes as dana 44's,the ring and pinion gears are smaller than a dana44 but not a problem for a sammi.

Just some ideas to look inrto,sometimes you can find built dana 30/35's cheap too

·
Registered
956 Posts
I was thinking about putting in Toyota axles but what switched me was the fact that the Dana 44's from the tj are just all around stronger, they have already have lockers, and they have the gearing in them that I want
only rubicon dana 44's have factoy air lockers
2003-2006 fot the tj rubicon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts