Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone - wondering if anyone has done a recent swap from the BFG Mud terrains to the All terrain KO2 and can tell me if it made a big improvement to their JKUs on road manners....

I am a long way from wearing out the Mud terrains (13k) that came on the willys so considering selling them and getting ATs so i don't have to wait years. Crazy?

·
Registered
661 Posts
The stock KMs on my Rubicon are no louder than the Duratracs I had on my old jeep. To be honest, unless you go with a street tire I doubt you notice a huge difference. They may be a little quieter or smoother, but nothing life altering. I personally think the KMs were a tad rough until I got them broken in, but since have been pretty good tires.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
not so much road manners, but massive improvement in wet and winter conditions. from c rated km to e rated at ko2 the steering feels a little heavier.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have the BFG mud terrains on my JKU and the AT on my TJ. I can't tell any difference on the street between the tires.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I put BFG KO2s on this rubi before leaving the dealer and its night and day difference. Wet traction is was waaaay better with the KO2s. The biggest reason for my switch was the noise and rough ride the KM2s develop with a few miles on them. This is my 4th Rubicon, so I've ran a lot of miles on the KM2s. If someone does not see a major difference they either have the best set of km2s ever produced or they are not paying attention.

I run a set of KM2s on my truck and I really want to swap them out now, but I drive my truck in nastier conditions, so the km2s are necessary on occasion.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Driven two Rubicons for approximately a total of 60,000 miles. Recently switched mt for toyo at2 (all terrains). World of difference in road manners and quietness. I don't look back one day and wish I had the km1's.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Any AT will be better than the M/Ts stock on the Willys. I went DTs because the M/Ts were crap in the snow/packed roads here this winter. And in the rain, day and night. The KOs should be the same difference.

·
Super Moderator
10,639 Posts
Hey everyone - wondering if anyone has done a recent swap from the BFG Mud terrains to the All terrain KO2 and can tell me if it made a big improvement to their JKUs on road manners....

I am a long way from wearing out the Mud terrains (13k) that came on the willys so considering selling them and getting ATs so i don't have to wait years. Crazy?
Firstly, at 13,000 miles you are about halfway done with those tires. For some reason those tires wear like toilet paper.

Secondly, you will find that the tend to get noisier, not quieter with wear.

You are not crazy. Most people swap those tires for something else eventually. I went with off-road General Grabber Red Letter tires on my Rubicon and AT Goodyear Duratracs on my Sahara. Either of those tires is a better alternative over those MTs IMO. It just depends how you use your Jeep.

The Generals offer much longer wear life, better traction on and off-road, tougher construction for off-road use, more even wear/noise over time, but a much stiffer ride. The Duratracs offer a more comfortable, quieter ride than those MTs, better on-road traction in both dry and wet conditions, more even wear over time, and a longer wear life as well.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for the input

Firstly, at 13,000 miles you are about halfway done with those tires. For some reason those tires wear like toilet paper.
I hope they do wear like toilet paper - then i can toss them soon without losing any sleep!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
If I were offroading a lot, I'd run MT in the summer and AT in the winter. Now that I have a 2 year old, I run an AT all year.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
AT's will do better in the rain and lighter snow than the MT's. I've got MT's on my 2014 Willys JKU as well and, while they don't do bad, in the rain I keep in mind they do have a tendency to slide easier than other tires, due to the large, un-siped, tread blocks on them. I'm just going to run them until they need replaced though.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
Like many, I had the oem KM tires and switch to all terrains (KO2).

The KM's were getting progressively louder as it wore (10k miles). I also have about 13k miles on my ko2's and they are still silent as the day I got them minus the low speed suction cup noise.

MPG ... I get about the same mpg on 35" ko2's as opposed to the smaller KM mud terrains (3.73 gears/6spd). No change in driving habits.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had some BFG MTs that were taken off a friend's Rubi but swapped them pretty quickly for a set of KO2s. It made a ton of difference in reducing road noise at highway speeds. Much happier with the KO2s.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts

The KO2's are very quiet and handle rain very well. I like them even better than the Duratrac.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
AT's will do better in the rain and lighter snow than the MT's. I've got MT's on my 2014 Willys JKU as well and, while they don't do bad, in the rain I keep in mind they do have a tendency to slide easier than other tires, due to the large, un-siped, tread blocks on them. I'm just going to run them until they need replaced though.
His reserve, a quiet defense, riding out the day's events!!!!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
The KMs on my truck have right at 30,000 miles on them now and I think they were at 12/32 last time I checked. I believe they are 19/32 new. Obviously mileage will vary.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had the KMs on mine for 80000 km. They were pretty worn and cracked by this point but they did wear pretty evenly until I did a 10000 km road trip between rotations near the end of their life.

I just replaced with ko2s and I find they ride smoother and quieter. But then again I'm really comparing them to the shape of the KMs when they were on there way out.

I live in Canada and drove 3 winters with the KMs. They don't perform great on packed snow but I certainly didn't feel the need to throw away perfectly good tires. I simply drove accordingly and let them run their course and replaced with something more suitable.

Unfortunately we've had minimal snow in my area this winter so I can't comment on the snow performance in detail but in the limited amount of snow I have driven on they do perform much better.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I've done the switch from AT to MT, and back to AT, just not in the Jeep, but i guess the concept is the same, AT's drive a lot better, and react better to all driving conditions i put any of my vehicles through, being rain, sand, snow, plus they seem to last longer, i went with AT's in the Jeep, perhaps i'll go back to MT's later on, i really like the look of MT tires, though if i switch again, more likely will be for one those MT hybrid tires with sipes, and definitely 3 ply sidewall, for now, i'm happy with my BFG K02's, they have handled snow blizzards like champions, so i'm keeping them for a while.

·
Registered
442 Posts
This thread is making me feel better about what I did today. I spent a couple hours researching and reading and going back-n-forth between the Duratracs and the KO2s. I pulled the trigger on the KO2s (33") and new wheels. 3600 miles on the KMs... going to sell them on the stock rims to a guy with steelies looking to upgrade.

Now they can't get here soon enough!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts