Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Jeep Newbie
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2016 Rubicon Hard Rock, 8K miles, stock 4:10 gears, Dana 44 axles (front & rear)

I'm moving from 35's to 37's and re-gearing to 4:88's. My buddy has a stock, 2015 JK Sport, automatic, and would like to buy my 4:10's.

Question 1, can he just swap his 3:21 gears with the 4:10's?
Question 2, if so, what would a reasonable price be for me to sell him the 4:10 gears?

TIA,

Jim

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
1. Front axle, no. Rear axle, yes. Front axle in his Sport is a Dana 30. Yours is a Dana 44. The gears won't fit in the front. At all. Rear gears will fit but there is a catch.

No shop will guarantee the installation of the rear gears. They can't know (and won't take your word for it) how the Jeep was driven previously. They don't know the condition of the old gears and it would cost them more to test them than it would just to buy new gears. In fact, some shops flat out refuse to install used gears at all.

2. Used gears are not really worth anything because of the issue with the guarantee on install labor. Most of the time, people just toss the old gears in the scrap bin and call it a day.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Its funny you say the stock gears are trash. My gear shop prefers Dana gear sets over some aftermarket brands.

Now used gear sets will have a weird wear pattern in a different case, true, but they're certainly not trash. Especially the 4.10 (wanna ship em?)

Now the 3.21s and the small d30 diff. No one would want to downgrade, so those are scrap.

·
Super Moderator
4,582 Posts
The issue with used gears is they wear in as installed. So you want to get them set up as near the same in the new housing as they were set up in the old housing as far as pinion depth and pattern. As you get away from that set up they can have wear issues and noise issues.
It would be better to keep them in the housing they are in and sell the housing to someone as a set. That would also solve the issue with the front axle.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Even if he could fit the gears, he would still have to buy new carrier. 3.73 is the max gears that will fit on a 3.21 carrier in a Dana 30. It will fit the rear no problem as a dana 44 only has one size carrier.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Don't trash the r/p sets. I'm interested in 4.10 in my JK Sport. I know I need to change the carrier in the front but WTF. The 3.21 is terrible, and I don't think 3.73 would please me either. If your buddy doesn't want them PM me and maybe we cam make a deal

·
Jeep Newbie
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the input. I checked several places here in town, and nobody wants to do the gear change. They were all willing to swap the entire axle's, but changing gears was out of their skillset.

So I called the Jeep Stealership, and after two days of research, they said they would do the gear swap for $3,718.40. I asked if they were going to use my existing lockers and there was dead silence on the other end.

Finally, he says, "Jim, to be honest; we've never done this before. I THINK we can use the existing lockers..."

So this didn't install much confidence. Can anyone tell me a reason they wouldn't be able to use the existing lockers? And secondly, is $3,718 a reasonable price or am I getting shafted?

·
Super Moderator
22,075 Posts
3718.40 for a gear change is way high. I would not want anyone who was not experienced with doing gear changes do it. You can use your existing lockers. You might have to travel to find a competent shop who is experienced with gear swaps.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Shafted.... Regearing shouldnt cost that much at all. Probably like half that. I think mine was $1400 and I had to get a new carrier in the front (3.21 to 4.56) Where in NC are you?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Thats a lot of money for a place that hasn't done gears. There is no reason they can't reuse your factory lockers either.

There isn't a driveline shop or a good 4x4 shop anywhere near you? You are in NC, there are plenty of places that will do gears, just depends on where you are.

On the coast, 4Wheel Parts in Wilmington, Raleigh area you have 4 Wheel Parts and East Coast Gear Supply, Winston Salem has Oliver's Driveline and Carolina Chaos, Boone has Rubitrux, Charlotte has a few, 4 Wheel Parts being one of them.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Thank you all for the input. I checked several places here in town, and nobody wants to do the gear change. They were all willing to swap the entire axle's, but changing gears was out of their skillset.

So I called the Jeep Stealership, and after two days of research, they said they would do the gear swap for $3,718.40. I asked if they were going to use my existing lockers and there was dead silence on the other end.

Finally, he says, "Jim, to be honest; we've never done this before. I THINK we can use the existing lockers..."

So this didn't install much confidence. Can anyone tell me a reason they wouldn't be able to use the existing lockers? And secondly, is $3,718 a reasonable price or am I getting shafted?
2013 Rubicon changed from 4:10 to 4:88. Used the same carrier and lockers. $1,700 for gears, weld the "C" gussets and heavy duty diff covers.

·
Jeep Newbie
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There isn't a driveline shop or a good 4x4 shop anywhere near you? You are in NC, there are plenty of places that will do gears, just depends on where you are.

Shafted.... Regearing shouldnt cost that much at all. Probably like half that. I think mine was $1400 and I had to get a new carrier in the front (3.21 to 4.56) Where in NC are you?
I'm in Franklin NC. But I'll travel if necessary. :)

·
Super Moderator
14,568 Posts
NO NO NO... That's way too much for gears. I did mine for $1100. It was $1363 with new diff covers installed.

You might need to go in to Charlotte, but it will be worth it...

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Probably have to go to Asheville. There are a couple of 4x4 driveline shops there.

·
Jeep Newbie
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't trash the r/p sets. I'm interested in 4.10 in my JK Sport. I know I need to change the carrier in the front but WTF. The 3.21 is terrible, and I don't think 3.73 would please me either. If your buddy doesn't want them PM me and maybe we cam make a deal
PM me if you're interested in the 4:10's.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts