Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Eaton e-lockers and the wires go through my factory dif covers. I would like to install heavier dif covers but I'm not sure how to transfer the wires to the new covers. I'm sure I will need to drill a hole in the new dif covers but not sure how to remove the wiring from old cover and get it installed into the new cover. Will I need to buy anything to make the wire transfer happen?

Looks like I need to de-pin this connector, push the rubber plug back through to the inside of the old cover, drill new cover, push rubber plug into new cover, then push pins back into plug.

thx

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,744 Posts
I have no looked closely at it yet, but I thought the e-locker wire went through the axle housing and not through the cover. I have pulled the cover off on mine, and did not have to mess with the e-locker wires. Maybe mine is not stock anymore as it was an upgrade as a used Rubi D44 for our BackCountry.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no looked closely at it yet, but I thought the e-locker wire went through the axle housing and not through the cover. I have pulled the cover off on mine, and did not have to mess with the e-locker wires. Maybe mine is not stock anymore as it was an upgrade as a used Rubi D44 for our BackCountry.
I had the lockers added by a shop and they installed the wires through the dif cover, probably because it was easier to drill though the flimsy cover. I expected them to drill the housing and when I asked they said it was the standard way to do an e locker install. I did ask another trustworthy shop about it and they said they do the same thing.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Any shop that put the wires through the diff cover is not "trustworthy". That's something that lazy people do. And if they're lazy with something like that, they probably take other shortcuts that they shouldn't. Next time, find a good shop that does things the right way.

As far as dealing with what you have now, it's easy to disassemble the plug and take everything apart. It's also easy to drill a hole in the differential housing and install the wire the right way yourself. Just make sure you thoroughly clean out the housing after you do because you don't want metal shavings swimming in your gear oil. Best bet is to cover up the gears when you drill to keep most of the bits out of the diff.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I agree with @derf 100%. Those are lazy shops.

It's not that hard to drill the housing and if you are doing gears at the same time, the chance for contamination is minimal. When I installed my rear ARB (in the driveway, BTW) I drilled the housing. It took about as much time to do it right than to drill the dif cover.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Had an ARB added to the rear when I regeared. The drilled through the housing as well. I never gave it much thought but glad they didn’t go through the cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts