Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a set of new takeoff Rubicon springs and shocks from a 4 door on CL for only $80, so I snatched them up and put them on my 2 door this morning.

I already had a 2" spacer lift on the jeep with steel bumpers, winch, and a lot of gear, but the 35" tires were still looking a little crowded in the wheel wells.

I got a full 2" of lift in the front and almost 1.5" of lift in the rear. The shocks and stiffer springs make for a much nicer ride.

I also picked up a new takeoff front driveshaft on CL from the same guy for only $50....... just for a spare.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
For anyone thinking of going from the standard shocks on the Sport or Sahara to Rubicon shocks, the feeling is night and day.

·
Registered
316 Posts
For anyone thinking of going from the standard shocks on the Sport or Sahara to Rubicon shocks, the feeling is night and day.
It absolutely is. I went from the softest to the hardest, amazing difference and now it doesn't sag with the trailer on. Soft ones nearly hit the bump stops with only a little bit of weight

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, the stiffer shocks helped a lot. I used to get tossed side to side violently when off roading and the nose does not dip down so far now when I brake hard. Here is a pic of how it has grown up in the last 7 months. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
899 Posts
Im curious if the fact that you put 4 door springs on a 2 door made any difference as to your lift?

I have a 4 door JKUS that I got take off Springs and Shocks from a 4 door JKUR on eBay (they are on the way) - and I'm curious if I'll net the same or similar.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I did the same. But my winch, bumper, skid dropped the front 1.5". I have a set of Old Man Emu 2617 (heavy load) springs waiting to go on the front.

I was really pleased as well.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Im curious if the fact that you put 4 door springs on a 2 door made any difference as to your lift?

I have a 4 door JKUS that I got take off Springs and Shocks from a 4 door JKUR on eBay (they are on the way) - and I'm curious if I'll net the same or similar.
Probably not, (at least not what we saw) but it will depend on the numbers. Typically 1/2" (I *think* per number -in other words, 14 to 18 will net about 2").

·
Registered
559 Posts
OP, did you do anything to correct geometry?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I was wondering the same thing.
Plus that rear wheel is way forward probably need correction there too
That's precisely why I asked... Nice eye.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes, I added exhaust spacers and control arm geometry brackets back when I did the initial 2" spacer lift (front is technically a 2.5" spacer). My original intent was to stay with the 32" wheels, but after the damage of two trail runs, I switched to the 34" wheels. My original lift did not come with bump stop extensions, so the 34" tires would rub at full stuff, so I added 2" bump stop extensions. The weight that I added by the new bumpers, winch, larger spare tire, and all of my gear made me want stiffer springs and shocks. The extra 2" of lift were not necessary, but I do like it better the way it looks. I can remove the spacer kit down the road if I start having problems.

·
Registered
559 Posts
It definitely looks better!

·
Registered
559 Posts
"The weight that I added by the new bumpers, winch, larger spare tire, and all of my gear made me want stiffer springs and shocks."

That's why I went Old Man Emu 2617. They're rated for heavy loads. I can't wait to put 'em on!! I hope I get some of the 1.5" or so of lift back (that I lost w/winch, bumper, etc. it's 200+ lbs!).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts