Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to replace the brackets on the front sway bar bushings on 2004 Wrangler. The old brackets broke. Looks like the bolts have nuts on the back. The nuts are inside the bumper assembly. How do I get my wrench inside this bumper assembly to hold the nut so I can unscrew the bolt?

I can share photos if someone told me how.

Thanks!
Ginger

·
Registered
96 Posts
I believe those captured nuts are inside the frame, on CJs. It may be possible to get a wrench on them after you remove the front bumper.
If you cant get to them you may have to cut the bolt head off (cutoff wheel or torch).
Whenever wrenching on bolts in captive nuts on CJs be careful and use lots of penetrating oils they often come loose and a can be a real pain.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe those captured nuts are inside the frame, on CJs. It may be possible to get a wrench on them after you remove the front bumper.
If you cant get to them you may have to cut the bolt head off (cutoff wheel or torch).
Whenever wrenching on bolts in captive nuts on CJs be careful and use lots of penetrating oils they often come loose and a can be a real pain.

Enjoy!
Hi thanks for your reply. These bolts and nuts are on a 2004 Wrangler TJ. But I may try to cut the bolts. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I got 04.......no stock bumper though, never seen 1 but
there are 2 holes on side of frame, 1 round ,1 oblong right next to each nut, u could prob get small 1/4" socket on a U joint and extention, might be just nuff to hold onto it and turn from topsideor maybe angle small wrench just cockeye'd nuff to get a grip, but those holes are real close to those nuts

·
Registered
765 Posts
76cj5, you said the bracket broke, but I'll assume you meant the welded in-frame nut broke free and spins. You can't access it from the front in the TJ's frame, on account of the crosstube and bumper bolt nuts, so I'd try to slip a stubby boxend wrench in one of the holes Dave above mentioned. The shorter and thinner the wrench, the more likely to finagle it into one of the holes. If the nut isn't too seized, you may be able to use a stubby open-end, which is thinner. Once in the frame, you can use one finger to hold wrench on the nut until it is held by pressure against the frame wall. Even if you opt to cut off the old bolt, you will need a wrench on the new flange nut.
Or, cut it all off and interpret this experience as God's way of telling you to get an Anti-Rock.

·
Registered
125 Posts
When I took mine off (2001 TJ) I just unbolted them, so yours are definitely broken on the inside of the frame if they're just spinning freely.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
could be risky move but they are close enough u could get a welding rod in there and tac those nuts tight, I can touch um with my finger

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I did try to get a wrench in there and the holes are positioned just as Dave described. I think it's a 5/8. It did not fit or hold. I'll try to find a u-joint that fits, but I doubt it, especially if I can barely get the wrench to fit. Might have to find a skinnier 5/8 wrench to slip in there. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
yah I just tried it, wrench at 5/8 idk but swivel diameter is smaller than the 5/8 socket. and my socket almost fits , dremel or die grinder just a bit and it would go

if they are loose and twisting/spinning, and think u they'll drop loose cut um at the head pull um out , holes close enough u could grease the new nut to your finger and get it started, if u can hold it until its got just any pressure an impact will suck it up tight

1 - 9 of 9 Posts