Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New owner of a 2014 JKUR. I was in my driveway testing out the different functions of the jeep, and I noticed that the Sway Bar disconnect light never stops flashing. I placed the vehicle in 4 HI (and 4 LO) and pressed the button and the light just flashes and flashes. With the window down, I can hear SOMETHING when I press the button that sounds like a motor momentarily, but the light never stays on solid. Even if I move forward slowly, or backward, or whatever, the light continues to blink. According to the DVD, it should only blink while engaging or if the conditions aren't met for it to engage - and it should come on and STAY on when it has been fully disconnected. Is this something I should be worried about? Any thoughts? Thanks alot!

-Aero out.

P.S.
To clarify, the light stops flashing when I hit the button again - it goes "off" completely then. The problem isn't that the light NEVER stops flashing, so much as it is the light NEVER goes to fully illuminated when attempting to engage. I hope that helps with any confusion on my intial description.

-A

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Are you trying to engage it on a level surface? Mine will keep flashing until I am stopped and pretty level. (Im assuming you are since you said it was in your drive way but hey figured I would check).

·
Registered
182 Posts
It is functioning properly. If you start moving and shut off ESBD it will stop quicker. Everything is good. Welcome too the new world. The Jeep world. It's a great place too live.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses. I am, in fact, on a level surface. And I even backed up and went forward several times to ensure it wasn't something where I had to move before it would finish up. I'm not sure what your post "rcr1340" means. How is it working properly? I don't have a problem with it going off, I have a problem with it fully engaging - at least, the light doesn't stop blinking. It *IS* supposed to stop blinking right? and if it's not, I can assume it's not fully disengaged, like the video in the DVD says (and the manuals, etc). Thanks guys for the feedback!

-Aero out.

·
Registered
588 Posts
It only disconnects in 4L. And only stays disconnected below 25mph. Go into 4L drive forward and push the button, within a couple seconds you might hear a click, and your light should be on. If you increase your speed and get to ??20?? Mph or so the light will start flashing, slow down and it will be a steady light. Shift back into 4H or 2H will engage the sway bar, but the light may continue to flash until you press the button...turning it off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dwindeck,

Thank you for your input. Are you sure? The owner's DVD video section on the Swaybar Disconnect indicated that it can be used in 4 HI or 4 LO (it does mention the speed limitations as you have). When I am in 4 HI and I press the button I can hear the motor attempt (?) to disengage or whatever, vs hearing nothing when I am in 2wd.

Again, I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I'm just making sure that the DVD information is wrong. Thanks everyone!

-Aero

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
Your 2014 Owner's Manual says:

To disconnect the stabilizer/sway bar, shift to either 4H
or 4L
and press the SWAY BAR switch to obtain the
off-road position. Refer to “Four-Wheel Drive Operation”
in “Starting and Operating” for further information. The
“Sway Bar Indicator Light” will flash until the stabilizer/
sway bar has been fully disconnected.

NOTE: The stabilizer/sway bar may be torque locked
due to left and right suspension height differences. This
condition is due to driving surface differences or vehicle
loading. In order for the stabilizer/sway bar to
disconnect/reconnect, the right and left halves of the bar
must be aligned. This alignment may require that the
vehicle be driven onto level ground or rocked from side
to side
Try rocking the front to settle the suspension?

You are correct in thinking yours may not be functioning right. So far it looks like yours may need to be looked at by the dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sway bar disco will function in 4H or 4L.
Mine did the same thing, blinking wise, until I got out on the trail and engaged it. Not sure why, but once I got out on the trail and pushed the button, it blinked a few secs then came on solid.
I have a feeling it has something to do with how it 'disconnects'. It does not actually disconnect the ends of the sway bar, but it allows the sway bar to move freely in the middle, essentially becoming two separate, independent pieces. Maybe it needs to get a little movement in there to actually register as 'disconnected', and your driveway isn't providing that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doc,

THAT is what I was wondering most about. I don't want to take it to the dealership if it's a simple case of not providing the right environment for it to properly disengage, but I also don't want to ignore a problem until I actually legit need it and find I don't have it. I'll have to take it on a trail or something (something a bit more advanced than "my driveway") and see if it does the same thing. Or maybe rock it a bit like Bill suggests. Thanks for the information all around.

-Aero

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I got back in the vehicle, engaged 4 hi, and rocked the body back and forth. BAM - light is on steady. I should have though of that before I posted - sorry guys! Glad someone learned something new from my ignorance though - all was not in vain!

-Aero Out.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
So I got back in the vehicle, engaged 4 hi, and rocked the body back and forth. BAM - light is on steady. I should have though of that before I posted - sorry guys! Glad someone learned something new from my ignorance though - all was not in vain!

-Aero Out.
Welcome. Don't be sorry for posting a very good question that also helped others. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts