Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 JKU Rubi with electronic sway bar disconnect and the disconnect light started flashing and the jeep is handling much differently. Hitting the toggle switch does nothing. After some research on here I assume that the disconnect motor got wet and is now disengaged and won't engage. What I haven't found is whether or not there is an easy/cheap fix. Can't afford to replace the electronic motor right now, don't have the time/knowledge to replace with a solid sway bar and I've already got the JKS quick disconnects (thanks to bad advice in a FB group). Can I clean out the current motor, dry it all out and get it to engage? My state inspection is due in September so I'd like to get it handled ASAP.

Also,
If I continue to drive with the sway bar disconnected, what potential damage/wear could I be causing on other parts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I had the same thing happen with my 09 JKR and I pulled the sway bar twice and cleaned out the linkage twice. Seemed toe fixed both times but the issue returned so for the third time I replaced the motor with a EVO1087 manual disconnect. I also got a AEV Procal and shut the sensor off so the light stopped flashing. I believe that the Jscan app will do the same with ELM OBD adapter but it was not available when I did the upgrade.

·
Registered
4 Jeep family
288 Posts
Biggest concern would be stability under high speed manoeuvres and greater risk of roll over.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts

Also,
If I continue to drive with the sway bar disconnected, what potential damage/wear could I be causing on other parts?

Thanks!

No damage.
I run with no sway bars full time, but my suspension is pretty beefed up. If you're running stock, or soft suspension then I would be careful on the highway. A quick swerve may get you into trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts