Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone figure out how to hack the sway bar disconnect to use it in 2wd. A lot of times I would like to use 2wd with the disconnect!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Welcome to WranglerForum!

I've done a lot of research on this and even have a spare sway bar assembly out in my shop waiting for cooler weather for me to make the necessary mods. The stock sway bar disconnect actually only needs 4 electrical leads to operate properly, but if you don't want to have the sway bar lamp blinking on your dash, you'll need some sort of programmer to disable the lamp.

Two leads are used to operate an electromagnet that keeps the sway bar unit disconnected (the normal mode for the sway bar is connected with no power connected). To get the sway bar disconnected, a DC motor is used but you have to be very careful not to apply too much power so a ballast resister is one way to reduce the voltage.

One idea I toyed with involved using a switch as a cutoff control with the motor but I found that idea more complicated than I think it should be. I'm going to try a simple timing circuit to operate the motor as well as provide a lamp indication and switch control on my A pillar.

To do this right isn't as easy as you might think, but I'm gonna do it for the exact reason you mention... disconnected sway bar in 2WD.

Many will recommend a manual sway bar kit and it's probably the easiest and perhaps the most reliable solution. I guess I'm just looking for the convenience of pushing a button to accomplish exactly what I want. Here is a link that has most of the information you should need if you really want to hack into your Rubicon's sway bar disconnect system...

Rubi Electronic Sway Bar Mod - Anyone? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

Holy Crap! no wonder the E-disco is so expen and prone to failure! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

·
Registered
413 Posts
Manual disconnecting links is much simpler and no need to mess with the computer system.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Up here in the PNW, I just gave up on trying to make the thing work. I just swapped it out to a stock sway bar and JKS quick disconnects. I pulled the electrical connector apart and found that the contacts are completely corroded.

'14 JKUR-X

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts