Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Jeep Wrangler Big Bear. - I'm not sure how long the front driver sides sway bar link has been disconnected or broken, I just noticed it a few days ago. I was going to replace it but I also see where it connects to front axle, that entire piece is bent (see picture), so if try to reconnect the sway bar it is to short and the bolt goes in at an angle. I can't imagine it is to be this way ( I just bought this jeep a few months ago and I believe it has a 3" lift). I don't see how I can fix this as that area that connects link to axle seems to be one solid structure and would have to replace whole front axle?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Remove the pin and as Ghost said above use channel lock pliers, or vise grip pliers, or you may even be able to get an adjustable wrench on it, and straighten it slowly and carefully. Then check the weld closely for cracks....if it's cracked it can be re-welded.

·
Super Moderator
23,661 Posts
that happened on mine and it is a result of there being a fair amount of droop and axle misalignment while being connected. judging by the hole in the pin it probably had a lot of stress when fully articulated. A large adjustable wrench will work best.

·
Super Moderator
15,974 Posts
Yes, remove the pin and use a Crescent wrench... It puts the load on a wider area.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
The links might be too short. I had one flip on me and get mangled on the trail and it was because it was too short. When level, the ends of your sway bar should be rising up 5-10 degrees, not drooping.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
that happened on mine and it is a result of there being a fair amount of droop and axle misalignment while being connected. judging by the hole in the pin it probably had a lot of stress when fully articulated. A large adjustable wrench will work best.
Does this mean there is a specific direction the pin hole should be aligned?

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to saw off that bolt to try and get vice grips on it to try and bend it back-.....That tab is not budging.

I was still able to get a new carriage bolt through the bottom tab and through the sway link - Is this going to work or ok to do? Do I need a certain bolt on bottom with a casing of some kind because I'm not sure how this works but if that is supposed to be able to rotate if needed. Right now I have it secured down tight with nut on top and bottom of sway bar link. I don't do any off roading.

IMG_0306.JPG
IMG_0305.JPG

·
Super Moderator
23,661 Posts
no use a large adjustable wrench it will budge put some muscle into it. I am a beat down old drunk and I can bend them back. you need new swaybar links that one is bent . order some jks or similar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts