Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than remove my front sway bar, and before spending $100+ on quick disconnects, is there any safety reason I should not remove the away bar links to gauge the difference?

Also, the upper nut is slotted with a pin, would it be unsafe to replace it with a nylock nut?

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
if you have flat soft/ factory springs you will get a ton of body roll and it will feel sketchy. If you have aftermarket lift springs with more arch that are stiffer body roll wont be nearly as bad. I am running 4.5" rubicon express extreme duty springs and they are fairly soft but i still dont notice enough body roll to put the sway bar back on so i never did.

Reactions: Got it at last

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
To answer your question, I wouldn't hesitate to disconnect the sway bar links, wire the sway bar up out of the way and drive around the neighborhood.
If that didn't worry me, I'd find a curvy country road and see how the Jeep felt there. Then drive around town and see how comfortable you feel. The last place I'd want to test a new suspension configuration is on a busy freeway or interstate.

Some jeepers are comfortable with no sway bar. I haven't tried it and I'm not interested enough to try it. I want every advantage I can get while driving on the streets and roads around where I live.
If I felt I needed more off road flex, I'd buy quick disconnects.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
You only need to remove one link ;)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Disconnects are a pain in the a$$... I've removed the sway bar and track bars... There is a very slight bit of body roll but nothing that's going to send you careening off a mountain road... Try it you may like it

Reactions: Got it at last

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,909 Posts
What the guys above just broke down for you pretty much sums it up. but here's my .02.

My '89 Laredo still has the links connected. RE 2.5" springs perform exceptionally well on pavement, I sport around town like I'm driving a tuned race car, It's that tight. My Last off road trip had a lot of medium off camber rocks, ruts, streams that I wished afterwards I had pulled the links for.

The '88 Sahara I just bought has no sway bar and made a 180 mi. freeway trip with a more cushy lateral ride, Partly due to larger, wider, softer tires, partly due to a little less support from the lack of sway bar. I was thinking along the way home about the bar being missing and mindful about doing any high speed slalom turns.

The biggest worry in my mind is developing the dreaded death wobble that occurs mainly due to bad bushings in sway and track bars or an out of balance tire, wheel.

Having run Both ways back and forth a couple times, I can tell a very slight difference, I have thought about swapping tires to get a better apple to apple comparison, but that's just too much work...LOL

For my own piece of mind on the roadway I would keep the bar, and get some disconnects for off road if you really want to test out the flex on your setup. If you just run simple not too challenging trails, there really is no reason to ditch them since the Jeep is quite capable in stock form. Now if you run around with your wife and kids, why not keep the most stable setup for everyone's safety.

Reactions: gat and vmxwinn

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

The second question I have is can the upper link but be replaced with a nylock nut? Mine has a slotted nut with a pin. Are the nuts prone to back off or is the pin just an added later of safety required by lawyers?

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,909 Posts
The Castle Nut can be replaced with a Nylock, PO probably put that on for ease of removal, once loose it could be spun off easier.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you live where the wind can blow 60 mph that's another test zone you might wanna add to the mix. A good cross wind on the highway can get pretty squirelly. Ive taken off both the swaybar and trackbars on my 91, which does have a RE 2.5" lift, and its fine on the road for me. Not knockin Jeep for using them now, but consider none of the CJ's or Toyota FJ40ies came with them. Just gotta keep in mind what your driving. However, if 99% of your miles are on road then Id probably leave them in place or get discos. Bummer as I just sold a pair of R/E sway bar disco off my 91 for cheap.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My driver's side link popped the bolt and so I've been riding for I don't know how long basically without the sway bar up front. I did experience squirlyness at speed on the highway. It startled me and got my adderlin going. The jeep is sitting until I get the new links and poly bushings and the new pins that take the castle nut. Mine is a daily driver and I go 65mph 30 miles to and from work. I was wondering why I was experiencing a smoother ride on the 3 mile rough dirt road to my house off the highway, then I discovered the link was disconnected. I'm running a 4" Rough Country lift and that may be why my jeep reacted this way.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Why would you replace w a nylock?
Nylock nuts are technically one use and should be replaced after each use where a castle nut can be used over and over.

Lawyers don't design vehicles, engineers do.... It has been standard practice to use locking hardware on critical items for many decades.... loose hardware is prone to excessive wear and or breakage and sudden breakage in your steering or a swaybar could cause you to lose control of the vehicle.

A nylock nut should work but if the reason for changing is to be able to remove and replace regularly I think you would be better with the castle nut

·
Registered
4 Posts
94 YJ with DYI Disconnect

I am running a 94 YJ, 2.5" lift, with disconnects I worked up in the garage. I have run short sections of mountain road between trails "unconnected" but for piece of mind I run connected on the paved surfaces.

As for the castle nut vs lock nut. The upper sway bar bolt is tapered and nut helps to keep it in place. If you are trying to disconnect from top it will not be quick or easy.

I replaced the top bolt and modified the bottom bolt to make my disconnect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pic of DIY disconnect

This is the disconnect I came up with.
Sorry the pic is sideways.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts