Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 JKUR. Suspension is stock aside from the teraflex leveling kit. Wheels and tires also stock. Front sway bar rubs the frame where the round circles protude. Anyone else have this issue? I have looked at some friends jeeps, and they have no rub marks. Hard to see now because it's dirty but in the pic that is where it rubs on both sides. The links Teraflex supplied with kit went in the front. I thought about just grinding that section on the frame down a bit, but thought I would see others experience first.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I had the exact same issue and thought it was weird, or that my sway bar was off center. However I am starting to see that others have had the same issues. I eventually took an angle grinder to both sides. I would do it sooner rather than later because those two things on the frame actually eat grooves into the back side of the sway bar.

I am hearing that this is quite common with longer sway bar links. When I went from the Teraflex links to the super long metalcloak ones, I had to grind even more. The front axle has always been run with an adjustable track bar and has been pretty well centered from day 1 of any lift.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I had to grind both sides as well, plus there is another portion that wont allow the sway bar to cycle clean all the way up, grind those lips too, I have TF disconnects, and to put the links in their resting position, the sway bar has to swing way up, then down again to be reconnected.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I thought maybe my sway bar "rested" too high, but it's really pretty level. Guess I shall just do a little grind and spray bomb.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Don't grind off those tube ends. I learn d this from sad experience. They are intentionally left long to keep the sway bar from shifting under load. If you grind them off the pitman arm side joint on the drag link will hit the sway bar and shred the boot. It does the sway bar no harm to rub the tubes.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Don't grind off those tube ends. I learn d this from sad experience. They are intentionally left long to keep the sway bar from shifting under load. If you grind them off the pitman arm side joint on the drag link will hit the sway bar and shred the boot. It does the sway bar no harm to rub the tubes.
It will shift on a Rubicon ?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Was not a choice in my opinion. They were making a ton of noise and binding the suspension movement. I would have sooner sold the jeep than left them to rub on every medium sized or larger bump.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the exact same issue and thought it was weird, or that my sway bar was off center. However I am starting to see that others have had the same issues. I eventually took an angle grinder to both sides. I would do it sooner rather than later because those two things on the frame actually eat grooves into the back side of the sway bar.

I am hearing that this is quite common with longer sway bar links. When I went from the Teraflex links to the super long metalcloak ones, I had to grind even more. The front axle has always been run with an adjustable track bar and has been pretty well centered from day 1 of any lift.

....man, i hope this won't be an issue for me. Installing the spring leveling kit was on my to-do list for this weekend. I've got a 2010 JKUR with OEM sway bar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts