Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,099 Posts
That does work, just stops the full lock sooner. I would recommend a set of spidertrax spacers.
x2 a lift in and of itself wont help you need to decrease your backspacing a bit.

·
Super Moderator
14,584 Posts

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
As above, the 275 wide is the max you can go without rubbing. The 285's are just a tick to wide. You need to reduce your back spacing.

I used these spacers from RedRock4x4, they worked perfectly and were economical.

RedRock 4x4 1.5 in. Wrangler Wheel Spacers - 5x5 Bolt Pattern J100749 (07-15 Wrangler JK) - Free Shipping

It's $120 and you're fixed.
These are great spacers that fit perfectly and won't break the bank. It's a good solution to OPs issue for not a lot of money.

OP, let me know if you decide to go with a set of spacers to keep you from rubbing and to get a wider stance. I'll get you a great deal!

-Ryan

·
Registered
132 Posts
^^ agree with pressurized and xtryan, I put 265-70-18 cooper atp tires on my daughters stock Sahara and rubbed the swaybar. Put on 1.5" spacer and no more rubbing and as a bonus jeep looked better with the wheels now sitting flush with the edge of the fenders instead of looking sucked in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are great spacers that fit perfectly and won't break the bank. It's a good solution to OPs issue for not a lot of money.

OP, let me know if you decide to go with a set of spacers to keep you from rubbing and to get a wider stance. I'll get you a great deal!

-Ryan
Putting the washers on both of the bolt stops that sits on the steering knuckles fixed my rubbing. I like the idea of spacers but this will hold me over for a little while.

Feel free to PM me a price, I might bite.

·
6,005 Posts
Putting the washers on both of the bolt stops that sits on the steering knuckles fixed my rubbing. I like the idea of spacers but this will hold me over for a little while.

Feel free to PM me a price, I might bite.
I'll shoot you a PM now. Nothing wrong with adjusting the stops! Some people just like the wider stance the spacers offer. It's up to you!

-Ryan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone!!!

This is my first post as a Jeep owner and this thread is relevant to the first issue I'm having.

Bought a 2008 Rescue Green JK and it had big beefy tires which I liked, but it's definitely rubbing, too. The owner of the dealership told me all Jeeps will make that jerky movement when you make a tight turn (as if you were engaging the 4x4), but when my mechanic finally got to look at the jeep today, he said there tires were too big and need to come off!

I called the dealership and the owner insists he thinks that spacers will do the trick and I need to now go back there for them to try and 'make it right'. This is a ROYAL P.I.A. because the dealer is over an hour away. :( If a fix is not a 'fix', I can't keep driving to this dealership.

Anyway, the tires are General Grabbers AT2, LT 315/70R17s, and the rear spare is a BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A, LT 285/70R17.

Am I asking for trouble with spacers?
Will they solve the problem but leave the tires sticking out beyond the fender flares?
Are these tires destroying my mileage?

My mechanic (a jeep guy) is personally advising against the tires altogether. It's not even the occasional rub on the front sway when turning that he's concerned over. He said the back are in virtual constant contact, and I'm just not noticing it because the tires are practically brand new, but eventually the rubbing will cause the need for early replacement (like, in 4 months), or worse, I could experience a catastrophic blow out.

Any advice on the pros and cons, or suggestions are most welcome!

Kristine (Jeep girl in the making)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hello everyone!!! This is my first post as a Jeep owner and this thread is relevant to the first issue I'm having. Bought a 2008 Rescue Green JK and it had big beefy tires which I liked, but it's definitely rubbing, too. The owner of the dealership told me all Jeeps will make that jerky movement when you make a tight turn (as if you were engaging the 4x4), but when my mechanic finally got to look at the jeep today, he said there tires were too big and need to come off! I called the dealership and the owner insists he thinks that spacers will do the trick and I need to now go back there for them to try and 'make it right'. This is a ROYAL P.I.A. because the dealer is over an hour away. :( If a fix is not a 'fix', I can't keep driving to this dealership. Anyway, the tires are General Grabbers AT2, LT 315/70R17s, and the rear spare is a BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A, LT 285/70R17. Am I asking for trouble with spacers? Will they solve the problem but leave the tires sticking out beyond the fender flares? Are these tires destroying my mileage? My mechanic (a jeep guy) is personally advising against the tires altogether. It's not even the occasional rub on the front sway when turning that he's concerned over. He said the back are in virtual constant contact, and I'm just not noticing it because the tires are practically brand new, but eventually the rubbing will cause the need for early replacement (like, in 4 months), or worse, I could experience a catastrophic blow out. Any advice on the pros and cons, or suggestions are most welcome! Kristine (Jeep girl in the making)
Hello Kristine,

You did not say whether you have factory or aftermarket rims or whether you have a suspension lift or not.If you have the factory rims then a 1.5" spacer would space out the wheel and tire to where there should be no more rubbing. The venders here like Ryan from Extreme Terrain are great at helping and making sure you get the correct parts you need and the best possible prices. With a 1.5" spacer the tires should set flush with the edges of the fenders or stick out just a little. In my personal experience I have run spacers on my jeeps for over a year now with no problems. Now as far as gas mileage is concerned well we drive Jeeps lol. There are many variables that can affect fuel mileage such as, has the Jeep been reprogrammed for correct tire size and what gear ratio you have. The main thing is to make sure the right tire size is programmed correctly.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Also, you need to have a spare that is the same size as the other 4 tires. You have four 35" tires and one 33" spare. Not good. As well, throwing a 35" spare on the stock rear tire carrier may eventually cause issues with the hinges and/or tailgate. And yes tires that wide kinda kill mileage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Kristine,

You did not say whether you have factory or aftermarket rims or whether you have a suspension lift or not.If you have the factory rims then a 1.5" spacer would space out the wheel and tire to where there should be no more rubbing. The venders here like Ryan from Extreme Terrain are great at helping and making sure you get the correct parts you need and the best possible prices. With a 1.5" spacer the tires should set flush with the edges of the fenders or stick out just a little. In my personal experience I have run spacers on my jeeps for over a year now with no problems. Now as far as gas mileage is concerned well we drive Jeeps lol. There are many variables that can affect fuel mileage such as, has the Jeep been reprogrammed for correct tire size and what gear ratio you have. The main thing is to make sure the right tire size is programmed correctly.
Thanks for the reply!

The tires are on the factory rims. I don't believe it's been lifted- at least my mechanic made no mention it had. It sat a bit higher than the other jeeps on the lot when I bought it, but I believe that might simply be a matter of how much larger the tires are than stock.

And I expect the mileage to be.....well. :)
I just don't want it to drop to near undriveable levels for my wallet.
(funny......I used to drive 100 miles a day until a recent lay off and I became self employed. This certainly wouldn't have been my DD!)

I should add that, while I hope to take a little test drive on some rougher terrain to see what the experience is like, I'm really not someone who plans to off road regularly. So, as much as I like 'looks', I'm not opposed to downsizing if what I have is just overkill.

·
6,005 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

The tires are on the factory rims. I don't believe it's been lifted- at least my mechanic made no mention it had. It sat a bit higher than the other jeeps on the lot when I bought it, but I believe that might simply be a matter of how much larger the tires are than stock.

And I expect the mileage to be.....well. :)
I just don't want it to drop to near undriveable levels for my wallet.
(funny......I used to drive 100 miles a day until a recent lay off and I became self employed. This certainly wouldn't have been my DD!)

I should add that, while I hope to take a little test drive on some rougher terrain to see what the experience is like, I'm really not someone who plans to off road regularly. So, as much as I like 'looks', I'm not opposed to downsizing if what I have is just overkill.
Since you're not going to wheel the Jeep regularly, 33's might be a better choice for you. You can most likely recoup a good bit of the cost if you sell the new 35's you have.

If you decide to keep the 35's you can run a Wheel Spacer to help with the rubbing. I can get you a good deal on a set. Let me know if you have any other questions or if you'd like a quote!

-Ryan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since you're not going to wheel the Jeep regularly, 33's might be a better choice for you. You can most likely recoup a good bit of the cost if you sell the new 35's you have.

If you decide to keep the 35's you can run a Wheel Spacer to help with the rubbing. I can get you a good deal on a set. Let me know if you have any other questions or if you'd like a quote!

-Ryan
Thanks Ryan!

I'm wondering if I should tell my dealer that I want the tires to match my spare.

I'm including a link to some pics I just took a short while ago. Now that I got under the vehicle, I DID see that it has Tereflex spacers of some kind installed, but outside of those (and slightly newer looking springs), I really can't identify aftermarket parts or determine myself if this thing has been lifted or leveled. You can definitely see my clearance problems though on the sway bars.

Basically, I want a decent, not too noisy ride for a DD and I guess I picked a Jeep that somebody got other use out of. :) Which is FINE, but I plan to baby it from here on out. At Jeep prices, I need this thing to last!

2008 Jeep by Kristine Koob | Photobucket

(and I'll wrap it up.....I didn't intend to hijack somebody else's thread)

·
6,005 Posts
Thanks Ryan!

I'm wondering if I should tell my dealer that I want the tires to match my spare.

I'm including a link to some pics I just took a short while ago. Now that I got under the vehicle, I DID see that it has Tereflex spacers of some kind installed, but outside of those (and slightly newer looking springs), I really can't identify aftermarket parts or determine myself if this thing has been lifted or leveled. You can definitely see my clearance problems though on the sway bars.

Basically, I want a decent, not too noisy ride for a DD and I guess I picked a Jeep that somebody got other use out of. :) Which is FINE, but I plan to baby it from here on out. At Jeep prices, I need this thing to last!

2008 Jeep by Kristine Koob | Photobucket

(and I'll wrap it up.....I didn't intend to hijack somebody else's thread)
It looks like there are still bump stop extensions in place as well. I would guess that there was a lift and they swapped in smaller springs. If your dealer is willing to make it right I would have them set it back to a stock suspension and run 33x10.5's. If you're going to have someone else do it, you'll want to make sure the bump stops are set correctly and add wheel spacers or swap the wheels for ones with less backspacing. Good Luck with it!

-Ryan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for all the info on this post. I just got a set of BFG all terrains Went a bit wider and taller than the stock tires and mounted them on the stock wheels and I am rubbing on the sway bar. This is my first jeep, 2008 Sahara. Couple questions: The spacers recommended above are a pair, I am assuming you need to space the rears also, is that correct? Also, what is a good leveling kit. I don't necessarily want to lift, I just dont like the rake. I dont go off road alot, but when I do, I like small rock courses and hills and mud. With the taller tires, I dont want to limit the suspension. But it is also, my everyday vehicle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts