Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a Teraflex 3" lift. The swaybar links that came with the kit only have approx. 2" of clearance between the top of the links and the frame. The front and rear l have about the same 2" clearance. This seems like it will be an issue. It looks like the links will hit the frame with as little as 2" of suspension travel. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
100,626 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Super Moderator
6,793 Posts
The longer links only make up for the increase in ride height. The sway bar itself still moves through the same arc it did before the lift.
Generally the sway bar itself should be angled up slightly looking at it from the rotation center towards the end where the link is attached, meaning the end with the link should be slightly above the other end of the bar where it rotates in the bushings. That should have been how it was before you started, and it should be roughly how it is after you installed the lift.
Some lifts have you replace the rear links with longer links and install the old rear links in the front. Others just have you replace the front links.
When I installed my first lift, a TeraFlex 2.5" budget boost, I mounted the rear links on the outside of the sway bar and cut the bolt just past the nut so that it would not catch on the hard brake lines accidentally. I don't remember if that was the way the instructions said to install it, but it is how I installed it. I ran it for a while before I cut the bolts down, without issue. But I did worry about it catching the brake lines and eventually decided to cut the bolts down just to be safe. As to the front, There is a circular tube that sticks out of the front frame rails and I did grind that down for better clearance, but that may not have been required. Probably just another example of me worrying too much.
Again, the sway bar itself should still travel in roughly the same arc as before. The longer links should put the sway bar back to close to the same orientation as before the lift.

Anytime you install a lift or make changes to the suspension you should cycle the suspension to make sure everything clears as it moves. Any issue, any contact between parts, should be dealt with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with what you are saying. I will post other pics. The center of the link is in line with the edge of the frame plus there is the bump stop housing sticking out beyond the frame, part of that above the link. I don't see how the link could clear if it travels up over 2". I will try to compress the suspension to check clearances. I may need to look at mounting the link on the outside the swaybar also.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,793 Posts
I agree with what you are saying. I will post other pics. The center of the link is in line with the edge of the frame plus there is the bump stop housing sticking out beyond the frame, part of that above the link. I don't see how the link could clear if it travels up over 2". I will try to compress the suspension to check clearances. I may need to look at mounting the link on the outside the swaybar also.
Your issue could also be an issue related to the centering of the axle. What does the other side look like? Is the axle pretty centered side to side?
On mine the upper ends of the links are attached to the outside of the sway bar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts