Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
image-3369992512.jpg

I noticed the other day that there is a small gap between the bottom of my sway bar, where it rests on the rubber part of the link arm. I don't know if the nut has come loose or the inside of the sway bar link has broken. I'm not too familiar with these parts. If I rock my Jeep side to side, I get a kind of pop sound. When doing so, I noticed the sway bar is moving up and down the bolt thread of the link arm. It's not much movement, but when I really rock the jeep back and forth more than a few inches in one direction, it will cause the movement and then the noise.

Has something broke or more likely come out of adjustment? Also, the sway bar doesn't sit flat on top of the link arm. It seems to be angled forward some, and is causing the rubber top on to of the link arm to look distorted. I have an 03 Rubicon with factory suspension. The only change was the Garmin roof rack. The rear mounts for the rack mount between the body and the frame in the rear. The mount plate was maybe a 1/4" thick at most. I don't know if this may have caused anything to change up front. It's been there for a while, and this sway bar issue is recent.

Finally, the noise doesnt happen when pushing up and down of the suspension. So I don't think it's the shocks or a ball mount. It's rides fine and handles ok except when going over speed bumps that's causes the body to roll. So, any ideas? I want to do the quick disconnects when it's get warmer, so if it just needs adjustment, like tightening the nut on top of the link arm, until then that would be cool. Otherwise, I will just make the upgrade if something is busted. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
555 Posts
try putting a socket and wratchet on there and see if the nut is easy to turn. If so just tighten it as much as you can for now and do the quick discos. Those links are usually pretty solid in those sway bars but if it has come out some it will make it easier to remove later. No big deal if the link is crap as long as it is attached to the sway bar for now.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
View attachment 94831

I noticed the other day that there is a small gap between the bottom of my sway bar, where it rests on the rubber part of the link arm. I don't know if the nut has come loose or the inside of the sway bar link has broken. I'm not too familiar with these parts. If I rock my Jeep side to side, I get a kind of pop sound. When doing so, I noticed the sway bar is moving up and down the bolt thread of the link arm. It's not much movement, but when I really rock the jeep back and forth more than a few inches in one direction, it will cause the movement and then the noise.

help.
All this points to the ball/socket being separated. It's very common. You need a new link.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for everyone's help. I just ordered JKS quicker disconnects. They should be here next week. The best part of broken parts is the excuse to upgrade. It looks like the install should be easier than the stock links that seem to be pressed in.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Ya that's it. It looks like this when it goes

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thanks for everyone's help. I just ordered JKS quicker disconnects. They should be here next week. The best part of broken parts is the excuse to upgrade. It looks like the install should be easier than the stock links that seem to be pressed in.
You will have to let me know how them JKS discos are. I've been eyeing those. I have the RC ones and am not happy and looking to get rid of them soon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I got the disco's on, and it went well. I added a Rancho steering stabilizer while I had the puller tools on loan. All I have left to do is drill and tap the storage posts for when I'm disconnecting the sway bar. Also, the only thing holding one of the old links together was the rubber covering. Both ball joints were corroded. It's an '03 but only 71,000 miles. I was a little surprised how nasty they were. It's rides better than it did when I bought it new. I'm impressed with JKS.

image-1413373428.jpg

image-877889898.jpg

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I went through two sets of stock links before giving up and going with JKS.

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
A nice side benefit to the JKS Quicker Discos is that you can get your swaybar back to the proper degree of angle if you have a lift. You want about 10 degrees of angle to get it at the optimal angle.

Plus they clip nicely out of the way when disconnected.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts