Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My '09 is in need of new tires. It currently has the stock 16" steel rims. I found a good deal on some nearly new stock 17" alloy rims and tires. I was wondering if I did this if I would have issues with a check engine light or tire pressure monitor because of the different rim size. Is this even a good idea or should I just stick with the stock steelies? My Jeep is just a daily driver/work vehicle.

Thanks,
MM

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
You should not have a problem. You can either buy one of the flashers to reset the size or have the dealer do it.

Also, in some cases it will not make a difference. For example the LT255/75R17 tires on the Rubicon and the P255/70R18 tires on the Sahara are the same height and thus have the same rolling radius (which is what affects the speedometer and all the computers).

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
I cannot edit the previous post, so this is what I was going to add after some research:

However, you have a short relatively skinny tire and will move to a taller, wider tire. The taller tire will help on gas mileage after you get the size reset. Until you get the tire size rest, your speedometer will be off and the instrumentation for fuel mileage will be off as well, even if you do it manually as the odometer will also be off.

Your stock size P225/75R16 Height 29.3" Revolutions Per Mile 713
Sport S stock P255/75R16 Height 32.1" Revolutions Per Mile 649

Alternate in between sizes:
P245/70R17 Height 30.5 Rev. Per Mile 683
P245/75R17 Height 31.5 Rev. Per Mile 662

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went from stock 16's (Sport) to stock 18's (Sahara).

I paid the dealer $60 bucks to do the wheel swap, check all the tire pressures, reset the TPMS and reset the speedometer. I mean, I could have done it myself, but I think that was $60 well spent.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
If the TPMS sensors are still in the new rims they won't work in your 09 because the frequency is different. You would have to use the TPMS sensors in your original wheels or get new sensors with the proper frequency (433 Mhz). They will synch automatically after they are installed. The dealer, Flashcal or Procal can correct the difference regarding the new wheels/tires.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
16" tires and wheels can be cheaper than 17". Pick out the tires you want and compare. A 16" wheel will look a little more aggressive with a taller tire too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts