Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know if an 03+ four switch/ashtray panel will swap right over to the older three switch panel? I only need four switches (for now) and don't really want to alter anything from the factory look just yet. Just curious, thanks!

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
what are you trying to do swap a 03 or later center bezel for the earlier one ?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just the lower switch/ashtray piece. Looks to be one piece in the 03+ TJs. Will it fit where my two piece, three switch and ashtray are at in my 98?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Want the four factory switches vs a custom panel as I only need four for the time being.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Your ash tray housing and lighter is part of the bezel, so it probably won't work without some kind of modification to it. Not sure how the newer ones were made.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I watched/read about the conversion to remove the ashtray section and add another switch panel from an older TJ, I was just curious if that right side could be removed and replaced with what looks like one solid piece from the newer TJ. Not sure, seeing if someone knew...

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll have to find a newer one someplace and investigate a little bit. But thanks guys!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have wondered the same thing. I know the later models have the round opening at the radio bezel so it would create another problem to solve if you switched it too. I will be subscribing to see the outcome as I need another switch as well.

Rich

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I'll have to find a newer one someplace and investigate a little bit. But thanks guys!
If you have a local wrecking yard that specializes in jeeps, hit them up for a trashy looking one to experiment with. I did that when I was designing my switches and they gave me one (free) that was trashed, but perfect for trying things.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd a bought it lol. That's things gotta fit with some tweeking...

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cutting the exterior surround or the inside, like adding a second pre 03 style second set of switches requires the ashtray to be removed? I'll cut underneath all day long but not willing to on the surround.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Cutting the exterior surround or the inside, like adding a second pre 03 style second set of switches requires the ashtray to be removed? I'll cut underneath all day long but not willing to on the surround.
I don't thing just removing the ash tray will do the trick, the lower portions of the surround are quite different. I did a bezel swap a while back to accept the later head unit, and the bezel is even different around the heater controls area. I'm sure a lot of guys would have done the swap if it was just a plug and play.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, good call. Dammit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts