Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 155 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm slow like that. How do you then connect the "lights" [off road lights for example ] to the switch pro if the lights just have a black and red wire coming out ?
Never a stupid question if you don't know the answer...

The red wire from the lights should go to the red wire for the switch you want to use on the Switch-Pro and the black would be a ground that you can put anywhere you will get a solid ground.

·
Registered
453 Posts

The red wire from the lights should go to the red wire for the switch you want to use on the Switch-Pro and the black would be a ground that you can put anywhere you will get a solid ground.
Thanks :) I guess everyone assumed it was self evident how you would wire up external accessories to the "system" that no one really "showed" how to do this or explain. Thanks for answering my question !!:happyyes:

·
Registered
29 Posts

QFT.

:thumb:

·
Registered
357 Posts
this thread may have just steered me away from a s-pod....one of the best threads so far for me.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
this thread may have just steered me away from a s-pod....one of the best threads so far for me.
It did for me... I installed the switch-pros and love it!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Mine is amazing and soo easily to install/hookup +customer service is on point.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Anytime someone asks me about switches, SPod, etc... I always mention what I perceive to be advantages/disadvantages to the many options.
I recommend the Switch-Pros solution(s).

ESPECIALLY when someone expresses interest in BT functionality.

·
Registered
267 Posts

How do you verify you have a solid ground? Are there common ground points that are used frequently?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
How do you verify you have a solid ground? Are there common ground points that are used frequently?
There are. Testing w/ a meter is a good idea. There are very well known common ground points though. You'll see places away from the battery, where there are bolts connected to the body that other grounds are already connected to. If it's good enough for a factory ground, it's good enough for you...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks both. I haven't decided between SPOD and SwitchPros yet. I prefer the SwitchPros/Daystar switch location below the climate controls better and, what appears to be, simpler hooks-up with actual ground points in the SPOD.

Switch-Pros:

SPOD:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I didn't get the sPod I asked for for Christmas, and it may have been for a reason. I just ran across this thread! Jaxs1984, I had the same question. So is the wiring harness that comes with the SP just have wires for the accessories that you want to run coming out of it, and you just spice into those? Anyone mount the SP in a TJ yet and have pics?

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I didn't get the sPod I asked for for Christmas, and it may have been for a reason. I just ran across this thread! Jaxs1984, I had the same question. So is the wiring harness that comes with the SP just have wires for the accessories that you want to run coming out of it, and you just spice into those? Anyone mount the SP in a TJ yet and have pics?
You may ask this question in the TJ forum so you will have the right audience see it. Not many TJ owners in the JK section. :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I didn't get the sPod I asked for for Christmas, and it may have been for a reason. I just ran across this thread! Jaxs1984, I had the same question. So is the wiring harness that comes with the SP just have wires for the accessories that you want to run coming out of it, and you just spice into those?
Yes. You attach your accessories right to the wires coming off the SP. The wires are numbered according to the switch it is attached to.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks both. I haven't decided between SPOD and SwitchPros yet. I prefer the SwitchPros/Daystar switch location below the climate controls better and, what appears to be, simpler hooks-up with actual ground points in the SPOD.

Switch-Pros:

SPOD:
Hey guys,
Looking at both these. I want to know exactly what im getting before I spend $500

With the SP do you still have to ground each accessory to the frame or battery? Or is the grounding done with the one negative to the battery that comes from the SP??
For example if I do 12 led rock lights then I will have 12 different leads coming into the engine compartment. Will I have to connect all those to one wire coming from the SP, that correlates to which switch I want it on? and then have to ground all them as well?

With the sPOD the grounding is done on the power module correct?
If this is true then wouldn't the spod be far easier in regards to hooking up accessories and having less wires under the hood?

Please correct me or advise!

Also having Bluetooth is not a deal killer for me, as Im looking for something simple that will work when I need it to. as well as ease of installation of accessories.

thx
matt

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Hey guys,
Looking at both these. I want to know exactly what im getting before I spend $500

With the SP do you still have to ground each accessory to the frame or battery? Or is the grounding done with the one negative to the battery that comes from the SP??
For example if I do 12 led rock lights then I will have 12 different leads coming into the engine compartment. Will I have to connect all those to one wire coming from the SP, that correlates to which switch I want it on? and then have to ground all them as well?

With the sPOD the grounding is done on the power module correct?
If this is true then wouldn't the spod be far easier in regards to hooking up accessories and having less wires under the hood?

Please correct me or advise!

Also having Bluetooth is not a deal killer for me, as Im looking for something simple that will work when I need it to. as well as ease of installation of accessories.

thx
matt
I don't have either but it's my understanding that you'd need to make your own ground with the switch pros. I think getting a grounding block would be the easiest way to do this, which you could mount near the unit or anywhere else that's convenient.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't have either but it's my understanding that you'd need to make your own ground with the switch pros. I think getting a grounding block would be the easiest way to do this, which you could mount near the unit or anywhere else that's convenient.
This is correct. You need to supply your own ground for each item you connect. The SwitchPros offers the hot lead, you need to ground it, whether it be back on the battery, or somewhere else.

As a side note, Rubi77, I love your avatar! ;)

61 - 80 of 155 Posts