Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading many posts here about AMSOIL, I decided to switch to it for the tranny, TC and differentials. I have to say that I'm impressed. Shifting in particular feels amazingly better. Just hope it last.

Now it got me thinking that maybe I should do the same for motor oil. My 2007 JKU is now at 140k miles. It's only ever seen conventional and it's been consistently replaced at 3000k.

I'm in FL so no frigid starts and I don't tow anything either. It's running great and idols nicely but it's getting long in the tooth. So ... thoughts on the benefits of making the switch to synthetic to extend the life of the engine or stay the course? Also, is it time to change to 5W30?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
There will not be an extension in engine life. Synthetic oil is great for heat [Florida certainly qualifies], cold, less frequent oil changes, etc.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I use 5W30 in my 3.8. Synthetic or conventional is your choice. At this point, I would probably stay with conventional. Seems like it's working for you.

·
Retired Moderator
100,487 Posts
i use 5w30 in my 3.8. Synthetic or conventional is your choice. At this point, i would probably stay with conventional. Seems like it's working for you.
^^^x2!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you want a "scientifically" based opinion, send your oil into that oil testing and analysis lab. They can tell you things about your motor nobody here can, like how your rings, injectors, etc are performing. Otherwise you could also go full syn and extend change intervals...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you want a "scientifically" based opinion, send your oil into that oil testing and analysis lab. They can tell you things about your motor nobody here can, like how your rings, injectors, etc are performing. Otherwise you could also go full syn and extend change intervals...
Good suggestion. Curious what others have found with lab results -- were they useful? What did you change as a result?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
You're already at 140K without any issues so what you're doing is working. There are a couple of schools of thought on this. If you want to have your oil analyzed it's not going to hurt anything, but you should do at least two or three tests in order to establish a base line, and then follow up with additional tests. With an analysis on a high mileage engine I would be concerned with the amount of wear metals in the sample and the amount of contaminants such as coolant, etc. The other school of thought would be to keep doing what you're doing and leave it at that. The tests aren't expensive so it's up to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts