Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First oil change coming up on my new to me 2012 jku. It has 52,000 miles. What do you all think, is it worth it to make the switch to synthetic? If so what oil do you suggest?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Personally, I love synthetic oil. So definitely, I'd switch to synthetic.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Conventional for me.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I changed it every 6-7k in my old 4.0, and do 7k in my Volvo with 187k. I think you should be fine stretching it out beyond 5k miles, just check the level once in a while.

My ZJ with the 4.0 had 165k when I got rid of it, and I never had to add any oil between 7k mile changes.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Once I go to synthetic should i change it every 5k miles? Sound reasonable?
I'm running synthetic blend. 5k sounds too soon for a full synthetic.

If you want to get real serious pull a sample a 5k and send it to blackstone labs for an analysis.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Not that it is the same, but my XJ had 60,000km on it when I brought it home.

I switched over to Mobil 1 synthetic the first time I changed the oil, and kept using it for another 110,000km. When it was eventually retired and given to a family member in need, that engine still ran like it did when I got it- no leaking, no weeping, zero oil consumption between oil changes, no slow loss of power as the mileage accumulated. Because of mostly city driving, I changed it at a fairly low interval, every 5000-7000km based on the type of driving I'd done for the majority of that period. After the first fill of synthetic, that 4.0L ran a needle width cooler on the gauge and seemed to rev a little more effortlessly if you blipped the gas pedal before a down shift, and based on a decade of use in that engine I am now using synthetic in the JK :fingers crossed:.

At work we have a fleet of hard working diesel engines (some of which are on the road almost 24/7) and the company switched over to synthetic for engine oil and transmission fluid in the mid 2000's on a portion of the fleet as a test- the experiment was so successful they have since swapped the rest of the fleet over and specify it in the new vehicle orders. We had one catastrophic failure on one of those test engines- it threw a rod through the block...the maintenance department couldn't believe the miles on that engine at the time of the failure without it ever having had a tear-down (and neither would anyone here).

Connecting Rod Through Block_zps3b1bvanl.jpg Photo by basicxj | Photobucket

I tend to hold onto vehicles for a long time when possible, and was already a believer based on use in my personal ride (that XJ). The two vehicles I drove after the Cherokee came with synthetic as a factory fill, but I preferred a shorter interval than suggested by the manufacturer. If you change vehicles regularly, synthetic isn't going to be worth it in the 3.6 due to the extra cost with no added value for the next owner based on "here say," but if the Jeep is a keeper it may well keep the wear & tear down.

·
Premium Member
9,599 Posts
With today's oils you as long as you change your oil at the recommended intervals you are going to be ok. With that said a synthetic will buy you an extra level of protection, able to handle more heat and that is something I find worth the cost in our hot running 3.6's. I am running Redline and still swap every 5000 miles when I do my tire rotation.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I switched both our 2016's to Amsoil Signature Series 5-30. Motors are quieter, better mileage and no start-up tick. Great oil and never going back to dino oil.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've been thinking about the same. Mine's a 2016, w/35k miles. So, just to be clear...there's NO problem switching a dino to synthetic?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I've been thinking about the same. Mine's a 2016, w/35k miles. So, just to be clear...there's NO problem switching a dino to synthetic?
Nope, where did you read it was an issue, Facebook, Washington Post ? :)
I have 102k miles now, running synthetic oil every 8-10k miles, or whatever the engine oil reminder light comes on. I could switch to dino tomorrow if i wanted, but then i'll switch from 8-10k miles oil changes, to to 3-4k miles cycles, and i could switch back to synth next time out. your choice of oil to run, it doesn't matter, just don't pour motor oil in your trans, or viceversa, rest is internet bla-bla-bla...

Have fun.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I still can't believe people still use Dino when synthetic is so much better. SMH. An oil change with full synthetic & filter $33. 8-10k miles between changes. Can't get better than that.

I can see Dino in older vehicles but synthetic is still better

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
Synthetic has the best performance at cold and hot. Just make the switch.

We are way past the old pennzoil commercial days. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Got Gold synthetic yesterday at dealership, but did not like 21/2 hrs service, had to wait. Are there any no jeep dealerships that stock the jeep filters for safe and quicker oil change. Plus felt it was a ripoff for their price. Have been doing 7000 changes and jeep seems to respond better with synthetic vrs regular oil.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts